Re: [GAM] Updating a user account

Terry Chambers

Mar 25, 2013, 7:25:33 PM3/25/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This depends on your settings for the domain.

When you rename a user the old name is retained as a nickname.  There is a setting that allows all nicknames to also appear in the directory so you might be seeing the impact of that.  You could remove the nickname from the account.  But, it does take a while for the auto-suggest list to udpate so that could be it.

Terry

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Jennifer Szucs <jennife...@lkdsb.com> wrote:
I am wondering if anyone can answer a question about a user account: I was asked to change a user's last name, and since the user had not accessed the account yet I went in and changed it - changed the last name and changed the account. (For our students we use firstname.lastname@.....) The old last name still shows up in the contacts auto-suggest list (I don't know what it's officially called, when you are emailing someone - as you type it displays and suggests the contacts you have in your domain). I want that to be flushed out and the new last name to show. Is there a way to do this? Is there a way to do this with gam? Is there a certain amount of time for Google to remove this name from the auto-suggest list? I know changes can take up to 24 hours - but can anyone confirm that this will change? Or is the old last name in there for an undetermined amount of time?

Hopefully this question makes sense - and if the answer is already posted, please send me to the page!

Jennifer Szucs

Mar 27, 2013, 11:07:34 AM3/27/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Update: By the end of yesterday, the nickname had been removed from the auto-suggest list in Contacts ... all I had to do was wait. So it appears that after about 24 hours, any nicknames have been removed from the auto-suggest list in Contacts. Which is consistent with what Google says about changes taking 24 hours.