Re: [GAM] GAM performance

John Zimmerman

Feb 16, 2013, 4:27:24 PM2/16/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I believe the limit on the API is one API call per user per second no matter how many threads or processes.

In my own provisioning schemes I see provisioning take anywhere between 1 and 6 seconds.  They also want you to do an exponential back off on provisioning failure.

I'll see if I can find the API link too.  But I don't think you can speed it up.  It just takes that long.

Someone might have some other suggestions though?

On Saturday, February 16, 2013, Ed Danley wrote:
I'm a newbie with GAM. I'm trying to use it to access my organizations account. I using it to script membership into various mailing lists. I'm running on a Mac.

Member in the various email lists will be based on qualifications so I'm dynamically creating and updating my mailing lists on a regular basis.

The problem I'm encountering is that each "gam" command takes about 1 second to process. With nearly 25,000 requests to process, 2-3 times per month, this about 7 hours each.

Shy of less people involved or less mailing lists, am I doing something wrong that is causing the process to be so slow? Can multiple GAM requests be combined into a single request? In other words, could I add 100 members with 1 command vs. 100 commands?

A sample of what I'm doing:
gam delete group xy...@colossalcave.com
gam create group xy...@colossalcave.com permission member
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings who_can_invite all_managers_can_invite
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings who_can_join invited_can_join
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings who_can_view_group all_managers_can_view
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings who_can_view_membership all_managers_can_view
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings allow_google_communication false
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings allow_web_posting false
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings max_message_bytes 1310K
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings members_can_post_as_the_group false
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com settings spam_moderation_level allow
gam update group xy...@colossalcave.com add member a...@colossalcave.com

Thanks.

Ed

-- sent via mobile device --

Jay Lee

Feb 18, 2013, 8:36:39 AM2/18/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

  It sounds like you're talking about the Email Migration API. It does have a 1 message sec per user limit but other Google APIs which GAM uses do not.

  GAM commands can be run in parallel in order to speed up the process. See:

for one example of how this was done but there are other ways.

@Ed: I have to ask, why are you deleting and recreating the group every time? Assuming your group membership isn't changing completely, that's going to be a lot slower than doing a differential of existing members vs. who should be a member and only adding/deleting members as needed.

P.S. We visited the Colossal Caves on our honeymoon back in 2006. It was a wonderful trip and my wife and I dream of getting back to Tucson one day!

Regards,

Jay Lee
Large Customer Deployment Lead   |  Dito