Group creation fails on long name?

Peter Smulders

May 14, 2018, 3:40:25 AM5/14/18
to GAM for G Suite
I am trying to create a group, which has a fairly long name (these groups are more for compound grouping of groups than for actual use in daily life) and GAM doesn't like it. I tried both GAM and GAMADV-X. Both show:

$ gam create group overkoepelende.onderwijs...@mydomain.nl
Group: overkoepelende.onderwijs...@mydomain.nl, Create Failed: Invalid Input: groupName

Extra considerations:
  • Creating the same group through the Admin console works fine.
  • I created another group just prior and just after just fine, so the overall mechanisms are all functional.
  • I can also get info on the manually created group just fine.
Is there a length limit getting in the way? Does the API perhaps disalllow longer names contrary to the 'manual' method?

tnx --Peter

Ross Scroggs

May 14, 2018, 9:07:16 AM5/14/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

You're one onr the limit of 60 characters.
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901

Ross

Jay Lee

May 14, 2018, 9:12:51 AM5/14/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I think if you try to create a group and don't give it a name (just email) we name the group after the email so it's possible the name is the length issue on group create. Try something like:

gam create group <long email> name "short name"

Explicitly setting a name for the group may help here.

Jay

Peter Smulders

May 14, 2018, 10:49:52 AM5/14/18
to GAM for G Suite
The limit seems to be the name, like Jay and Ross suggested. Also, the automatic use of the e-mail address as the name is what tripped the limit. I slipped inbetween, because when creating a group manually, I tend to be less lazy and provide an actual name, but obviously without the (moderately long) domain name.

Mystery solved; thanks all. --peter

+KimNilsson

May 15, 2018, 4:47:25 AM5/15/18
to GAM for G Suite
This 60-char-group-name-limit is also relevant for those that use the automatic GCDS tool to sync groups from AD.
You may have to select a different attribute to sync as name, if the default it's too long.