Google Classroom User Analytics

Mark Monahan

Mar 29, 2020, 12:28:03 PM3/29/20
to GAM for G Suite
I am trying to get an idea of student interaction in Google Classroom using GAM.
I have managed to get some commands that tell me when they logged into Google over a given period, but it doesn't tell me much about their interactions. Now that all the kids are at home using it during the COVID-19 crisis, we are trying to work out at a whole school level which kids are getting involved and those that aren't.

I have tried something like this but I want to get more info on late and not late.

gam print course-submissions todrive start 2020-03-23T10:00:00.000Z end 2020-03-24T00:00:00.000Z

Any thoughts?

Mark Monahan

Mar 29, 2020, 12:47:02 PM3/29/20
to GAM for G Suite
I've just run the below command and it gives me nothing on the teachers or the students, just a very long list of assignments with no detail of who handed them in.

Eric Dannewitz

Mar 30, 2020, 9:29:59 PM3/30/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I do not think there is a way to do that.

Maybe if you "upgrade" to the Enterprise version you might get
something in there to see that sort of stuff.
> --

Eric Dannewitz 
Technology Assistant/District Tech
Acalanes Union High School District
District Office Technology Department
925-280-3980 x4309
edann...@auhsdschools.org

+KimNilsson

Apr 3, 2020, 4:17:29 AM4/3/20
to GAM for G Suite
@Mark,

there isn't really any such API calls.
This is as close as you can get... see my answer to Eric's question.

Jay Lee

Apr 3, 2020, 8:55:14 AM4/3/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
gam report customer

is a good start. Here it is on my test domain (so numbers are low) but gives a decent overview of student/teacher interactions. 1day students are students who have interacted within 24 hours before report, 7 day, etc So 1day student should be counted as 7day also (which should always be same or larger number). Showing only fields that may be of interest to your reporting. Note that this data will be 48-72 hours behind. As I run it now on Friday 4/3 the newest data available is from Tuesday 3/31.

classroom:num_14day_active_courses,4,
classroom:num_1day_students,0,
classroom:num_1day_teachers,0,
classroom:num_30day_students,0,
classroom:num_30day_teachers,0,
classroom:num_7day_students,0,
classroom:num_7day_teachers,0,
classroom:num_courses_created,0,
classroom:num_student_posts_created,0,
classroom:num_teacher_posts_created,2,

accounts:num_1day_logins,484,
accounts:num_30day_logins,2589,
accounts:num_7day_logins,1596,

docs:num_1day_active_users,0,
docs:num_30day_active_users,0,
docs:num_7day_active_users,0,
docs:num_active_users,671,
docs:num_owned_google_documents_created,477,
docs:num_owned_google_documents_edited,681,
docs:num_owned_google_documents_trashed,11,
docs:num_owned_google_documents_viewed,502,
docs:num_owned_google_drawings_created,2,
docs:num_owned_google_drawings_edited,4,
docs:num_owned_google_drawings_trashed,0,
docs:num_owned_google_drawings_viewed,2,
docs:num_owned_google_forms_created,1,
docs:num_owned_google_forms_edited,3,
docs:num_owned_google_forms_trashed,1,
docs:num_owned_google_forms_viewed,0,
docs:num_owned_google_presentations_created,25,

What can be really interesting is looking back at the same report before you removed to online learning:

gam report customer date 2020-03-07 todrive

Jay Lee

Mark Monahan

Apr 3, 2020, 9:19:00 AM4/3/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks very helpful for our global overview.
Now I just need to work out how to look at things from a user level.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 4:17 AM +KimNilsson <there.is....@gmail.com> wrote:
@Mark,

there isn't really any such API calls.
This is as close as you can get... see my answer to Eric's question.

Jay Lee

Apr 3, 2020, 9:31:17 AM4/3/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
You'll want to take a look at

gam report user

it offers most of the same fields from a per-user perspective. It's a lot of data to manage though.

Jay Lee

Eric Dannewitz

Apr 5, 2020, 11:28:05 PM4/5/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
On the flip side, Little SIS is free for a while. We are using that and it seem pretty good.

Mark Monahan

Apr 6, 2020, 7:45:24 PM4/6/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks. sadly they aren't taking users outside North America due to high demand.