Using GAMADV to add a second parent

Carl Hayden

Mar 3, 2019, 4:49:07 PM3/3/19
to GAM for G Suite
I wanted to see if anyone, has had a similar situation and have already worked out a good solution. I have a situation where I need to merge two very large shared folders (FOLDER-A to FOLDER-B). The folder structure is similar but not exactly the same.

I have mapped out the file folder paths and ids on the two folders and can use various methods to combine. Looking over the information for GAM & GAMADV, One possible solution that would make sure all sharing and permissions remain in place is to update the subfolders in FOLDER-A with a second parent location in FOLDER-B. This should result in the subfolder remaining FOLDER-A but also being seen in FOLDER-B. While I use GAM often, I have never attempted a process like this, and can find few examples on the format to add a second parent. Does anyone know of an example of how to update a folder to have a second parent with gam/gamadv?

Ross Scroggs

Mar 3, 2019, 9:53:54 PM3/3/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

I'll assume for the moment that the same user owns FOLDER-A and FOLDER-B.
Let's assume that the folders in FOLDER-A are named FOLDER-A1, FLDER-A2, ...

You want to same something like this for FOLDER-A1, FOLDER-A2,...
gam us...@domain.com update drivefile <IDofFOLDER-A1> addparents <IDofFOLDER-B>

What are the names of the folders in FOLDER-B? Are any of them the same as the names of the folders in FOLDERS-A?
If so you'll wind up with tow folders of the same name in FOLDER-B which is valid buy potentially confusing.