Is it possible to export from googlevault directly to google drive instead of downloading it locally

Duaa El-hassan

Sep 18, 2018, 7:21:24 AM9/18/18
to GAM for G Suite
i've check this https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/wiki/Google-Vault-Commands#creating-exports

i'm not sure if it would work ,but i'd appreciate any thoughts thank you.

Michael J McNally

Nov 14, 2019, 10:27:10 AM11/14/19
to GAM for G Suite
It looks like nobody has answered this, and I have the same question. My current process is to download the export to a local folder, then manually upload that to a drive folder. I would like to be able to skip the middle step and download directly to the Drive folder.

Jay Lee

Nov 14, 2019, 10:55:09 AM11/14/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
There's no way to do this. The Vault export is presented as a URL to Google Cloud Storage files that we can download. There's no way to tell Google Drive API to grab files from some URL (even Cloud Storage), you need to provide the file data via the API.

Best you can probably do here is spin up a Google Compute VM or use Google Cloud Shell to download the files from Cloud Storage and then upload to Google Drive. That way they never hit your Internet connection and actually remain entirely on Google's network.

Jay

Message has been deleted

Phil Youngman-Jang

Oct 19, 2022, 3:30:44 PM10/19/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Has this changes in the past 3 years ? Are we able to move directly to Drive rather then downloading locally ?

Jay Lee

Oct 19, 2022, 3:34:40 PM10/19/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Nothing has changed there. There's no API to move files directly from Google Cloud Storage (where Vault exports them) to Google Drive.

What you can do is:

a) copy them to your own Google Cloud Storage bucket w/o actually downloading them.
b) Use a GCP compute VM to download the files form Vault/GCS and then upload them to Drive. That way they don't hit your Internet pipe.

Jay

Jay Lee

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GAM for Google Workspace" group.