SOLVED: How to get a user's groups

Thomas Burford

Jun 16, 2015, 3:07:15 PM6/16/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I've been racking my brain for a while now trying to figure out how to get just a user's groups that they're apart of. Seeing that there was no direct command (that I'm aware of), I decided to brute force the matter.

            $Groups = @()

            $TotalGroups = 0

            foreach ($line in (./gam info user $user)) {
                if($TotalGroups -gt 0) {
                    $Groups += $line.trim().split()[0]
                    $TotalGroups--
                }
                if($line.Contains("Groups:")) {
                    $TotalGroups = $line.split()[1].trim('(',')')
                    $TotalGroups = [int]$TotalGroups
                }
            }

This will end with $Groups containing a list of the groups the user is apart of. It's not the prettiest of solutions, but I'm rather new to Powershell. I've seen this question without answer atleast once on the forum, so I hope this helps!

Ed Crist

Jun 17, 2015, 8:58:21 AM6/17/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
So here's a really simple way to get the output

gam print users groups todrive

This gives me 2 columns....username and groups

The 2nd column contains ALL groups that the user is a member of....each group is separated by a space

NOTE: I have 824 users and it runs a command on each on separately.....so it's NOT a fast report by any stretch, but it gave me what I wanted.

Jay Lee

Jun 17, 2015, 9:20:54 AM6/17/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
You can also use:

gam print group-members

which will give you 1 row per group member. Note that external users will be included in this list.

Jay Lee