Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10

Andrew Moore

May 19, 2014, 7:10:58 PM5/19/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
anyone see this when trying to use the print query?

[root@proxy1 gam]# /usr/bin/python gam.py print licenses > anothertest.txt
Got 0 Licenses for Google-Apps...
Got 0 Licenses for Google-Drive-storage...
Got 0 Licenses for Google-Coordinate...
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10
Error 500: Backend Error - backendError

Andrew Moore

Jun 3, 2014, 4:03:11 PM6/3/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
any update on this error? Still getting it

Jonatas Novais

Jun 4, 2014, 3:03:15 PM6/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Nothing???
As informações contidas neste e-mail são confidenciais, podendo ser legalmente protegidas. E elaborada exclusivamente ao destinatário. O acesso a este e-mail por terceiros não é autorizado. Se V.Sa. não for o destinatário pretendido, qualquer divulgação, cópia, distribuição ou qualquer ação conduzida ou omitida para que se baseie nisso, é proibida e pode ser considerada ilegal.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Andrew Moore

Jun 16, 2014, 10:39:30 AM6/16/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jay,

Any update on this? Really need to be able to view all my current Vault License Users

Jay Lee

Jun 16, 2014, 11:04:37 AM6/16/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
What version of GAM are you using? (the latest 3.21 release I hope):

Jay Lee

Andrew Moore

Andrew Moore

Jun 30, 2014, 7:23:51 PM6/30/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this error? Really need to be able to see who has Vault Licenses

Jay Lee

Jun 30, 2014, 8:01:01 PM6/30/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
On line 6090 of gam.py, try changing:

maxResults=1000

to:

maxResults=500

it seems like even though the API says it supports pulling down 1000 licenses at a time, it causes backend errors. If you still see the occassional backend error, may need to lower it even further, let me know what works best and I'll see about updating it for the next release.

Jay Lee

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Andrew Moore

Jul 1, 2014, 11:17:16 AM7/1/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jay,

The highest number I could get to work was 400.

I tried 450 and above with no luck.

I went ahead and set it to 100, just so I don’t have to worry about it in the future of possibly timing out.

Thanks again for the help

Jay Lee

Jay Lee

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/bc671b5f-23c6-49c0-9023-cb9d509d57c6%40googlegroups.com.

DIEGO GONZALEZ ESPINILLA

Jul 3, 2014, 3:08:41 AM7/3/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew.

With 400 works properly.

Jay, ¿can you publish new version with this change?

Thanks a lot

Jay Lee

Jay Lee

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-apps-manager.

Jay Lee

Jul 4, 2014, 7:18:32 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This should be fixed in 3.3 which I just released:

I removed the parameter entirely so it will default to 100 licenses per request max. I suspect that during times of heavy load larger requests were failing. 100 will be slower and less efficient but should be more reliable.

Jay

Danny Dillon - NOAA Affiliate

Jul 29, 2014, 9:56:53 AM7/29/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I started seeing behavior this on the 25th for daily scripts using the report users command (v3.05)
I installed 3.31 and am still seeing this behavior for the report users command.

# python /sync/gam_3.31/gam.py report users date 2014-07-24 > 20140724.users
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10
Error 500: Backend Error - backendError

I am thinking "report users" works off something else, it counts in larger increments
Normal output is
Got 5000 users
Got 5000 users
Got 5000 users
Got 1101 users
.
FWIW, I have a ticket open with Google on the unresponsive back end...

Danny Dillon - NOAA Affiliate

Aug 11, 2014, 4:01:06 PM8/11/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The Google response to this is:

I can reproduce the issue in GAM as well, but this is a third party tool we are not responsible for. The root cause was that our server timed out when the request was made, which was resolved. Jay has to increase the exponential backoff limit of this request, as the limit on our end is higher than what his app setup. He only could have pulled 1000 users at a time (that was always the limit), so he returned it to GAM by 5 requests.

I'll try and get a hold of him to speak on the way GAM handles this report, but as far as our engineering team is concerned this issue was fixed.

gam report users is still not working, and we are having a very hard time working around the loss of data to several of our scripts.

Josef Fortier

Aug 15, 2014, 11:20:55 AM8/15/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Danny, thanks for posting this follow-up.

I added nightly "report user" reports a few weeks before this issue cropped up, I'm using it to track usage for a 130 or so "shared" accounts. The breakage isn't crucial, not the least of which, Google's CSV isn't particularly timely.

I see multiple instances of wait_on_fail being set in the main gam.py code and the httplib2/gam.py code. This appears to be backoff code, but I'm having trouble seeing which chunk effects the backoff timer for the reports command. Does anyone understand the code well enough that they can point me in the right direction? (thanks in advance)

Diego San Juan

Aug 25, 2014, 6:29:19 AM8/25/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, thanks for information until now.

We have the same issue and Google support response in the case opened to them is:"We've been tracking and working on an issue involving some of the reporting servers as they were timing out. Our resolution for this was to increase the amount of time allowed per request.
After testing on GAM I was able to reproduce this but not outside of it. At this time I believe GAM is timing out since it's coded to with our old server response times. I believe this update from within our servers will require an update from Ditoweb to their tool also. A ticket has been created with ditoweb from within Google informing them of this but naturally I can't provide updates on their tool. "

Have you any update regarding this? Should the issue be solved in next version?
Thanks!

Brad Graham

Sep 2, 2014, 9:18:57 PM9/2/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Using version 3.31.  Works fine for single user, or small subset of users.  When you try to pull all accounts, this happens:

Dito GAM 3.31 - http://git.io/gam
Python 2.7.8 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.2
Windows-2008ServerR2-6.1.7601-SP1 AMD64

C:\gam-64>gam report users >userstats.txt
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...

DIEGO GONZALEZ ESPINILLA

Sep 3, 2014, 1:36:03 AM9/3/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

If use the fields parameter works fine.

The commands:

gam.exe report users filters "accounts:is_suspended==True" fields "accounts:disabled_reason,docs:num_docs,accounts:drive_used_quota_in_mb,accounts:gmail_used_quota_in_mb,accounts:total_quota_in_mb,accounts:used_quota_in_mb,accounts:gplus_photos_used_quota_in_mb" WORKS FINE but

gam.exe report users filters "accounts:is_suspended==True" FAIL

Without filter same thing happens, with fields parameter works fine.

Regards.

Brad Graham

Sep 3, 2014, 7:53:01 AM9/3/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Specifying the fields still fails.  The only thing that seems to work is to select fewer records.

Is there an elegant way to retrieve portions of the population, say alphabetically?

Josef Fortier

Sep 8, 2014, 12:01:35 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
All of a sudden "reports" is working for me. Did something change on the GAE end?

Mauricio Mendoza

Sep 8, 2014, 12:55:54 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I was doing a different thing, trying to do a: gam update user te...@test.com firstname "cuenta" lastname "caduca" username "" and I've got the same problem:
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10
Error 503: Backend Error - backendError

 - Giving up.

Any solution for this problem?

Jay Lee

Sep 8, 2014, 12:59:22 PM9/8/14

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Mauricio Mendoza <mauricio...@solucionesorion.com> wrote:
gam update user te...@test.com firstname "cuenta" lastname "caduca" username ""

Username "" would try to rename the user's primary address to be blank (which obviously isn't a valid email address. Take username "" out of the command if all you want to do is update first/last name.

Jay Lee

Mauricio Mendoza

Sep 8, 2014, 1:14:05 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your help Jay Lee, problem is solved
The thing is that I've done a lot of times the same procedure, but this is the first time that I have this problem.

Brad Graham

Sep 8, 2014, 1:17:01 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
This is what I wound up doing.  I generate the GAM command from another script automatically going back a few weeks, then combine the resulting files into a single file.  This has made the report run consistently.

Group A: C:\gam-64\gam.exe report users filter "accounts:last_login_time>=2014-08-25T00:00:00.000Z">c:\GoogleGetUserStats\userstats1.txt
Group B: C:\gam-64\gam.exe report users filter "accounts:last_login_time<2014-08-25T00:00:00.000Z">c:\GoogleGetUserStats\userstats2.txt

Danny Dillon - NOAA Affiliate

Sep 8, 2014, 3:24:21 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I got a note from Google saying it should now be resolved, but I still am getting errors with 3.31. and 3.05

[ro...@gam01.nems.noaa.gov:/sync/gams] python /sync/gam_3.31/gam.py report users

[ro...@gam01.nems.noaa.gov:/sync/gams] python /sync/gam_3.05/gam.py report users

Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10
Error 500: Backend Error - backendError

Josef Fortier

Sep 8, 2014, 4:35:20 PM9/8/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

I got a note from Google saying it should now be resolved,

Ahh! So it is on the GAE end.

Did they indicate the nature of the fix (seemed like the original response was "won't fix")

but I still am getting errors with 3.31. and 3.05

 I only got success on last nights run.

RayB

Nov 14, 2014, 10:04:16 AM11/14/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Anyone got an update for this?

Trying to apply 50 label updates to a Mailbox and starts happening after it reaches the 6th label, seems related to the number of threads being used?

Jay Lee

Nov 14, 2014, 10:11:00 AM11/14/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

That's a generic error that could mean any number of issues. If your not already on the latest 3.41 release, upgrade.

It'd also help to know what commands you're actually running.

Jay

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014, 10:09 AM RayB <raymond....@glhhotels.com> wrote:

Anyone got an update for this?

Trying to apply 50 label updates to a Mailbox and starts happening after it reaches the 6th label, seems related to the number of threads being used?

Raymond Brighenti

Nov 14, 2014, 10:15:39 AM11/14/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
It's the latest version, command and output below

C:\gam>gam csv c:\ray\Labels.csv gam user ~Mailbox label ~Label
starting 5 worker threads...
Creating label 0.PEOPLE/Dilip for Groups.s...@somewherelse.co.uk (1 of 1)
Creating label 0.PEOPLE/Tina for Groups.s...@somewherelse.co.uk (1 of 1)
Creating label 0.PEOPLE/Slah for Groups.s...@somewherelse.co.uk (1 of 1)
Creating label 0.PEOPLE/Kate for Groups.s...@somewherelse.co.uk (1 of 1)
Creating label 0.PEOPLE/Julia for Groups.s...@somewherelse.co.uk (1 of 1)
Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...Temp error backendError. Backi
ng off 16 seconds...Temp error backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...Temp error
 backendError. Backing off 16 seconds...Temp error backendError. Backing off 16
seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 5/10
attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error backendError. Backing off 32 seconds...Temp error backendError. Backi
ng off 32 seconds...

Raymond Brighenti | Senior Systems Analyst | glh.

Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 780 004

www.glhhotels.com.  | www.guoman.com | www.thistle.com

Based at Thistle Heathrow, Bath Road, Longford, West Drayton UB7 0EQ

Postal Address: Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Ltd. PO Box 909, Bath Rd, Uxbridge, UB8 9FH

Jay Lee

Nov 14, 2014, 10:18:58 AM11/14/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Trying to run 5 threads against 1 mailbox is probably pushing the mailbox's change quotas. Try running it with:

C:\gam>set GAM_THREADS=1
C:\gam>gam csv c:\ray\Labels.csv gam user ~Mailbox label ~Label

this will limit GAM to 1 thread at a time. You might be able to get away with a couple at a time but I'd start with 1 and work up from there.

Jay Lee

Raymond Brighenti

Nov 14, 2014, 10:48:44 AM11/14/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Sorted, turns out I was trying to create labels that already existed.

Shouldn't the API be passing back for GAM to continue on?

Senthu Perambalam

Sep 2, 2015, 8:37:36 PM9/2/15
to Google Apps Manager
Dear Jay Lee,

I would like like to delegate a few accounts. However I am prompted with the following error:

Temp error. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10

Temp error. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10

Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10

Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10

Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10

Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10

 - giving up.

The syntax initially worked successfully for one account. However, when I re-applied the setting, it threw me the error mentioned above. I waited an hour and half before re-applying the command but I was still prompted with the error.

This is only happening for a few particular accounts.

Troubleshooting steps taken:
- I've checked that the account is active
- I've checked that the delegated accounts doesn't already exist.

Have you ever faced this kind of issue before?

Thank you

Jay Lee

Raymond Brighenti | Senior Systems Analyst | glh.

Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 780 004

www.glhhotels.com.  | www.guoman.com | www.thistle.com

Based at Thistle Heathrow, Bath Road, Longford, West Drayton UB7 0EQ

Postal Address: Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Ltd. PO Box 909, Bath Rd, Uxbridge, UB8 9FH

Ashutosh Tiwari

Jan 6, 2017, 7:05:39 AM1/6/17
to GAM for G Suite

Ross Scroggs

Jan 6, 2017, 3:43:28 PM1/6/17
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ashutosh,

I would upgrade to GAM 4.03, see: https://github.com/jay0lee/GAM/releases/tag/v4.03

Upgrade, try again and report your results.

Ross

Ashutosh Tiwari

Jan 10, 2017, 5:36:37 AM1/10/17
to GAM for G Suite
I have configured for  4.02 domain

here is report

I am running the command to block the mobile device which gives me below error message.

C:\GAM4.02>gam update mobile androidc1242650300 action block
Temp error internalError. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error internalError. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error internalError. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error internalError. Backing off 60 seconds...

Here is the Gam info
C:\GAM4.02>gam info
GAM 4.02 - http://git.io/gam
Python 2.7.12 64-bit final