Signature Management on Android and iOS

Nathan Wilson

Jan 17, 2020, 7:17:49 AM1/17/20
to GAM for G Suite
Ive been able to set up signatures successfully using Gam.

However, they don't replicate to the Gmail app on Android or iOS.

Is it possible to use Gam to set signatures on mobile devices?

Nathan Wilson

Jan 18, 2020, 2:47:37 AM1/18/20
to GAM for G Suite
Update: Apologies, it replicates to iOS, just not Android.
Can anyone help with setting up the HTML signature for Android devices?

+KimNilsson

Jan 19, 2020, 11:07:02 AM1/19/20
to GAM for G Suite
Wow, it does?
Are you sure?

If so the Gmail app on iOS is doing something magically that Google needs to code into their Android app.

There's only one thing you can/should do about it. Call Google support and tell them to get on that asap.

Nathan Wilson

Jan 20, 2020, 7:42:13 AM1/20/20
to GAM for G Suite
Yes, I turned off mobile signature on my iPad, updated my signature using GAM, and my new signature appeared on my iPad.

I read about it in a different forum too, many Android users were pissed that apple users had such an important feature before Android users.

Andrew Mervis

Jan 20, 2020, 8:32:58 AM1/20/20
to GAM for G Suite
Looks like the "Insert this signature before quoted text in replies and remove the "--" line that precedes it." option still doesn't take effect though, which is too bad.

Markus Frömmel

Jan 20, 2020, 9:16:24 AM1/20/20
to GAM for G Suite
that is actually the behavior for years. iOS is copying the desktop signature (you can not influence it) while android let's (or forces you to) set any signature you want

Dominik Kugelmann

Jan 20, 2020, 3:07:20 PM1/20/20
to GAM for G Suite
iOS just silently attaches the desktop signature.  But but only if you also send it via your phone.

So If you start a draft on your phone and finish it on your desktop…no signature…

If you start a draft on the desktop and finish it on your phone you may end up with two signatures (would need to test that tho).

I am not sure what happens if you set one on your phone … but you should be able to just copy the one out of the web interface and past it into your android/iOS app (I hope/would suppose that it will overwrite your desktop one).

Markus Frömmel

Jan 20, 2020, 5:53:42 PM1/20/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the additional intel.

AFAIK there is no way of configuring the signature on the iOS Gmail app.

So the solution is not really superior to android