Verify Domain Problem

Joel Stickney

Jul 2, 2014, 7:29:13 PM7/2/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I put this in the terminal:

1. gam create verify example.com txt
2. gam update verify example.com txt
3. gam info verify
4. create group te...@example.com

Everything goes smoothly, I even get the text:

SUCCESS!

Verified:  example.com

ID:  dns%3A%2F%example.com

Type: INET_DOMAIN

All Owners:

 jo...@primary.com
You can now add oneimagecollision.com or it's subdomains as secondary or domain aliases of the joelstickney.com Google Apps Account.

But when I get to that fourth command, I get this:

Error 404: Resource Not Found: domain - notFound

Which is odd because the previous command said I was good to go. The new domain doesn't show up in my domains in the Google Apps Dashboard (though, if I add it from the Dashboard, it INSTANTLY verifies, so there must be some hook the app isn't getting to place the domain into the verified domains within Google Apps, because everything else is spot on. PS. I tried verifying via both CNAME and TXT, same results for each.

Jay Lee

Jul 2, 2014, 7:35:03 PM7/2/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Correct. The Site Verification API that GAM is using here allows your Google account to prove it owns the given domain but it does not add it to your Google Apps instance. However, since you've pre-verified, adding the domain or any of it's sub-domains in Google Apps just works.

Jay Lee

Joel Stickney

Jul 4, 2014, 2:23:51 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Oh, so that's by design? Is there any Google Apps Admin SDK API that allows for the creation of a domain that has already been verified thought the Google Site Verification API (which your CLI handles perfectly)?

Or would I be stuck to manually adding it into the system every time through the web interface. It seems silly that everything else can be automated except this one fairly important aspect :P.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Joel Stickney <joelas...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jay Lee

Jul 4, 2014, 7:15:40 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
It's the limitation of what the APIs can do, so yes, pretty much working as intended. If Google adds a way to actually add the domains, I'll see about supporting it.

Out of curiosity, what's your use case? Do you need to add domains very often or have a bunch that need to be added at once?

Jay

Joel Stickney

Jul 4, 2014, 2:45:00 PM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
The use case is almost exclusively that I'll be adding domains very often. Or rather, employees of a company who has a single Google Apps account will be adding domains very often through a portal I'm building, thus they'll only have so many permissions and adding domains they own will be one of them. It seems I can verify through their API (and your CLI), but I just may end up having to, in the server, screen scrape to add the domain through their web interface after that. That's messy, but I don't see any other way, unless they come out with a new API to do so (it's silly they left it out).

I heard resellers have some kind of an API to do so, but that could be wrong. And I also heard that registrars have Google Apps APIs to automatically add domains: "Google Apps Ready Registrars".