GAM 2.5 Released!

Jay Lee

May 11, 2012, 2:34:04 PM5/11/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I'm excited to announce GAM 2.5 with the following changes and updates:
  • GAM handles and retries errors consistently and provides nice error messages. Long running GAM processes like "gam all users" should be much stabler now. Death to the 1000/Unknown errors! This involved some major changes to the Google API calls so if you run into problems, try downgrading to 2.3.1 and see if they go away. Be sure to submit bug reports!
  • GAM now checks for new versions automatically once a week and prompts you to update. If you don't like automatic update checking or you're running GAM as a scheduled process that shouldn't be paused, you can create a file called noupdatecheck.txt in the same folder as gam.py or gam.exe and update checking will be disabled.
  • New parameters for gam create user and gam update user
  • New parameters for gam print group: owners, members and settings
  • GAM now works for delegated admins with user read/create/update/delete API rights
  • gam update group add owner now only adds the user as a group owner, not a member (Google Group member and owner status are independant of each other)
  • gam update group add member no longer revokes user's owner rights if they have them
  • gam info group now shows owners who are not a member of the group
  • gam now works around the group settings "Backend Error" by making an HTTP request to the groups website. This workaround may cease to work if performed on more than a few hundred groups at a time.
  • moving large numbers of users to an Organization is now more reliable and is performed 25 users at a time.
  • gam print users aliases now makes only 1 API call to retrieve all user aliases
  • New commands gam oauth info and gam oauth revoke allow further OAuth token management
  • gam info domain now shows the unique customer id
As always, give me a holler if you have any issues, questions or if GAM has been helpful to you.

Jay Lee

Jul 3, 2012, 11:32:43 AM7/3/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
GAM 2.51 Released

  • New gam calendar wipe command allows clearing all data off a user's primary calendar
  • create user and update user commands now support setting user's org.
  • gam whatis command allows looking up an email address to determine if it's a user, alias or group.
  • gam delete user no longer renames a user by default since undelete is now in CPanel. Added optional dorename parameter to force old renaming behavior.
  • Fix issue that broke gam delete resource command
  • GAM now offers to remember your client secret and key when entered the first time
  • various other bug fixes
Message has been deleted

Jay Lee

Sep 21, 2012, 3:20:10 PM9/21/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

GAM 2.53 Released

  • Two new group settings, spam_moderation_level and include_in_global_address_list allow further customization of your Google Groups.
  • Error reporting for mailbox delegation has been further improved, GAM does a better job of pinpointing why a delegation failed.
  • Fixed updating and deleting domain and default users for calendar ACLs
  • proper error handling for adding and removing group members and owners
  • Fixed error on gam info domain caused by failure to retrieve outbound gateway settings.
  • An EXPERIMENTAL 64-bit build of GAM for Windows is now available. I do not expect it will be any bit faster for most GAM commands since most delay is due to network I/O. However, some GAM commands like "gam print users", when run against large domains (10,000+ users), use a large amount of memory and resources due to result size. In these scenarios, the x64 build MIGHT prove faster. If you try the x64 build, please report how it worked back to the mailing list. "It feels faster" is nice but hard numbers with details of what you did are better :-) Note that if you're using the Python source build and your Python is 64-bit, you're already using 64-bit GAM :-)

Atul Singh Sachan

Sep 21, 2012, 3:50:06 PM9/21/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

can we change the role from "owner" to "manager" for any user by GAM? I could not see any way through API.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Jay Lee <j...@ditoweb.com> wrote:

GAM 2.51 Released

As always, I can't squash a bug unless you report it here. Let me know how GAM 2.53 works for you.

Jay

John Glines

Sep 21, 2012, 3:53:25 PM9/21/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Big thanks for the two new group settings, Jay!

Jay Lee

Sep 21, 2012, 3:57:35 PM9/21/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atul,

  You are correct. There is no manager role setting for the API. A user can only be set to the manager role from the GUI currently.

Regards,

Jay Lee
LCS Deployment Lead   |  ⚡ Dito

Daniel Schwartz

Sep 27, 2012, 11:40:31 AM9/27/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay -

After updating to GAM 2.53 (from GAM 2.51) on CentOS 6.3, I've had some errors show up when I do a

python gam.py print users

command.  It pretty much sits there for about 5 minutes and then dumps this traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gam.py", line 6588, in <module>
    doPrintUsers()
  File "gam.py", line 5038, in doPrintUsers
    del(all_users)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'all_users' referenced before assignment

I just tried it again on the same system with gam 2.51 and it works fine (still slowly).  We currently have about 15,000 user accounts in our google domain.  Other commands seem to work fine.  I can send you some debug stuff if you want more info.

--
Dan Schwartz, Lehigh University

Will Welch

Sep 27, 2012, 11:53:06 AM9/27/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Go Mountain Hawks! Lafayette Sucks!

- Will (LU '05)

Jay Lee

Sep 27, 2012, 12:58:34 PM9/27/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

GAM 2.54 Released

  • Fix a stupid bug that broke "gam print users" when used without additional attributes.
  • Another fix for outbound gateway settings on "gam info domain"
  • Get this whatsnew.txt doc up to date.
Thanks for catching these and reporting them guys!

Jay

Bri Hatch

Sep 27, 2012, 1:19:47 PM9/27/12
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Will Welch
Pretty near to Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Will Welch
<willia...@gmail.com> articulated:

> I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Go Mountain Hawks! Lafayette Sucks!

Uh, well then don't.

Mailing list manager: consider turning off Reply-To munging. Then
folks will at least need to hit 'reply all' to annoy everyone.

Why do this:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html (amongst others)

How for Google Groups:
Manage >
Settings >
Email Options >
Post Replies > Users decide where their replies are sent

--
Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/

Initiative comes to those who wait.