Transfer User Drive files to Team Drive

Chris Rosa

Sep 7, 2018, 7:13:15 PM9/7/18
to GAM for G Suite
Just found today that you can't move folders from a User Drive to a Team Drive. If possible, this would be a nice feature for exiting employees or occasional migrations. Doesn't appear to be an option in GAM now, but wondering if it's a feature that we might see?

Thanks

Ross Scroggs

Sep 7, 2018, 8:33:51 PM9/7/18
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM Chris Rosa <chris...@drivesavers.com> wrote:
Just found today that you can't move folders from a User Drive to a Team Drive. If possible, this would be a nice feature for exiting employees or occasional migrations. Doesn't appear to be an option in GAM now, but wondering if it's a feature that we might see?

Thanks

+KimNilsson

Sep 18, 2018, 4:15:15 AM9/18/18
to GAM for G Suite
It's also possible to do in (Team) Drive if you give the user the necessary admin rights. I recommend creating an admin role with only that capability, and assign it to relevant users. Superadmin can always do everything, of course, but not regular users.

Moreno Nardelli

Oct 30, 2020, 9:30:25 AM10/30/20
to GAM for G Suite
Sorry but i didn't understand.
How can i move a drive folder in a shared drive with gamadv-xtd3? Can you give me a example to do it?

Thanks in advance
Moreno

Ross Scroggs

Oct 30, 2020, 11:28:10 AM10/30/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

gam user us...@domain.com update drivefile 12349O1hN0ksiT_WhB46miHLp8uQsybV1284lM2Xwxyz teamdriveparentid 1234AeZbAOV4HWDIBpWo3EwQLr980wxyz

Ross

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 2, 2020, 7:52:53 AM11/2/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross, thanks for you response, but i have the same issue...I can't move a folder on a personal Drive to Shared Drive with this command

gam user name.s...@domain.com update drivefile idfolderpersonaldrive teamdriveparent 'Name shared drive'
ERROR: idfolderpersonaldrive is not a valid argument for "gam <users> update drivefile"

Ross Scroggs

Nov 2, 2020, 8:49:15 AM11/2/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

You said that you had GAMADV-XTD3 but that error message is from Basic GAM.
Check you file path (Windows) or aliases (Mac OS Linux).

Message has been deleted

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 3, 2020, 8:43:47 AM11/3/20
to GAM for G Suite
Sorry Ross, you are right.
I have installed both of them in the same machine, and the provious command was lunched with gam and not gamadv-xtd3

Thanks!

One more question, now the command will be ok, but during the copy (i don't use the option update because i copy folder/subfolder and file from frive to shared drive) i have the same error with only Google Site file
"Copy Failed: The requested conversion is not supported."

Thnaks in advanced

Ross Scroggs

Nov 3, 2020, 11:25:30 AM11/3/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

The Drive API doesn't support this.

Ross

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 3:06 AM Moreno Nardelli <moreno....@unitn.it> wrote:
Sorry Ross, yu are right.
I have installed both in the my machine, gam and gamadvx-ext3 and my last command call the gam.

Also if i lunch the command with gamadv-xt3 I have another error
"User: name....@domain.com, Drive File/Folder ID: 1A5i***************************7p, Update Failed: Moving folders into shared drives is not supported."

I have checked and the user used for command have the Admin permissions to move folder in shared drive...

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 12, 2020, 10:40:41 AM11/12/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks Ross i understand... sorry but i have another question
when i lunch this command

gamadv user user...@domain.com copy drivefile codeoffilefoldertocopy teamdriveparent 'Name of Shared Drive' summary recursive copyfilepermissions true copytopfolderpermissions true copysubfolderpermissions true

The personal drive folder, my target codeoffilefoldertocopy, and all his subfolder have many different shring permission.
When I check the destination shared drive copy this permission will lost, only the permission on the files keep but not the folder and subfolder permission

Can you help me where I'm wrong?
Thank you very much in advanced

Kim Nilsson

Nov 12, 2020, 10:45:29 AM11/12/20
to Google Apps Manager
Does manually sharing folders on Team Drives work for you?

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 12, 2020, 10:58:37 AM11/12/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the feature is implemented in our organizzation and I have update gamadv-xtd3 at version 5.24.05

Università di Trento
Moreno Nardelli
Ufficio Cloud e Collaboration
Servizi e infrastrutture tecnologiche
Direzione Sistemi Informativi, Servizi e Tecnologie Informatiche
Università di Trento
Via sommarive, 9  Povo 2 - 38123 Trento (Italy)

Il giorno gio 12 nov 2020 alle ore 16:45 Kim Nilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Does manually sharing folders on Team Drives work for you?

Kim Nilsson

Nov 12, 2020, 11:00:11 AM11/12/20
to Google Apps Manager
Does folder sharing remain if you move a folder manually?

Moreno Nardelli

Ross Scroggs

Nov 12, 2020, 12:54:02 PM11/12/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

I can duplicate the problem, I'm working on the solution.

Ross

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GAM for G Suite" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CAC9ZooeJwZgtj1Nw6B%3DsAb5hc08nH16CzqSn2AdbNZKMVF79AQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Ross Scroggs

Nov 14, 2020, 8:31:11 AM11/14/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

This should work in 5.24.08.

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 16, 2020, 10:20:39 AM11/16/20
to GAM for G Suite
Thanks Ross, you are Great!
Now the copy command seems to ok, the permission of topsiolder is keep....unfortunately, however, I encounter another problem...in this folder I have a file .png with "Anyone with the link" and whne script copied it I see the error

gamadv user us...@domain.com copy drivefile idfolderpertsonldrive teamdriveparent 'Name Shared Drive' summary recursive copyfilepermissions true
User: us...@domain.com, Copy 1 Drive File/Folder
  User: us...@domain.com, Drive Folder: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Copied to: xxxxxxxxxx, Drive Folder ID: idrivefile
    User: us...@domain.com, Drive File: 1 - My Site Test, Copy Failed: The requested conversion is not supported. (1/19)
    User: us...@domain.com, Drive File: ico_FB_32x32.png, Copied to: ico_FB_32x32.png, Drive File ID: iddrivefile (7/19)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gam.py", line 48989, in ProcessGAMCommand
  File "gam.py", line 39029, in copyDriveFile
  File "gam.py", line 38897, in _recursiveFolderCopy
  File "gam.py", line 38621, in _copyPermissions
KeyError: 'deleted'

I tested and with the move command it's all ok

Ross Scroggs

Nov 16, 2020, 10:59:00 AM11/16/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

This will be fixed later this morning.

Ross

Ross Scroggs

Nov 16, 2020, 1:12:10 PM11/16/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Moreno,

Fixed 5.24.09

Ross

CS Keng

Nov 17, 2020, 12:47:57 AM11/17/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello Ross,Moreno

when i tried it with move, can you advise?
It works fine with copy.

gam user use...@domain.com move drivefile  MYDriveid  teamdriveparent  ABCD summary recursive copyfilepermissions true

>>>recursive<<< copyfilepermissions true

ERROR: Invalid argument

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 17, 2020, 6:23:09 AM11/17/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
from what I understand from the guide
the recursive option in the move command is not to be indicated, like the copyfilepermissions option.
These two parameters are to be specified only with the copy command

Università di Trento
Moreno Nardelli
Ufficio Cloud e Collaboration
Servizi e infrastrutture tecnologiche
Direzione Sistemi Informativi, Servizi e Tecnologie Informatiche
Università di Trento
Via sommarive, 9  Povo 2 - 38123 Trento (Italy)

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s). It may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from further disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Kim Nilsson

Nov 17, 2020, 6:33:09 AM11/17/20
to Google Apps Manager
Well, moving content manually from My Drive to a Shared Drive keeps the permissions, recursively, so it should probably work with GAM too.

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 17, 2020, 7:16:13 AM11/17/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's correct
I tried to execute the copy command and the move command and in the both case the permissions is keeping

Il giorno mar 17 nov 2020 alle ore 12:33 Kim Nilsson <there.is.no...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Well, moving content manually from My Drive to a Shared Drive keeps the permissions, recursively, so it should probably work with GAM too.

Moreno Nardelli

Nov 17, 2020, 7:49:15 AM11/17/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
It's all ok.
Thank you very much Ross!

Università di Trento
Moreno Nardelli
Ufficio Cloud e Collaboration
Servizi e infrastrutture tecnologiche
Direzione Sistemi Informativi, Servizi e Tecnologie Informatiche
Università di Trento
Via sommarive, 9  Povo 2 - 38123 Trento (Italy)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for G Suite" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CAJkvRS-DZPVARfmwvVmYn3tYyku5F2Bt9w%3DJ6Dq6URCDT%2B1BKQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Che Shong Keng

Nov 17, 2020, 9:33:03 PM11/17/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com