Move users from main org to sub-org

Andrew Rowland

Jul 30, 2013, 4:16:26 PM7/30/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to move students from our main org into our sub org called "Students"

I did: gam update org Students addfile students.txt

My students.txt file looked like:

etc...
..
.

GAM just sits there after I hit enter. Nothing at all. Maybe it did it? It still shows those emails in our main org though? Thoughts?

Jay Lee

Jul 30, 2013, 4:34:15 PM7/30/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
what version of GAM are you using? The command with GAM 2.99+ is:

gam update org Students add file students.txt

Andrew Rowland

Jul 30, 2013, 4:39:20 PM7/30/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Still no dice. Running ver 2.995

Just sits there with a blank cursor.

Andrew Rowland
Web Designer | Managing Partner
P.S. Designs
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

Bruce Selzler

Aug 27, 2013, 10:03:34 AM8/27/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
Hello Team,

I'm having the same problem.  This worked fine until upgrading to 3.x.  Of course its the worst possible time for this not to work.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  Im stuck until a solution is found.

- Sez

Bruce Selzler

Aug 28, 2013, 5:10:51 PM8/28/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
Did you ever resolve this?  I haven't heard from anyone and Im having the same problem.  As an FYI, in the past all you had to add to the "add file" is a list of usernames, the email address' weren't necessary.  Is there something telling you to use the full email address?

- Sez

Bruce Selzler

Aug 28, 2013, 5:15:58 PM8/28/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
As an Fyi, when I run an info query it starts to work but notice it wont display the users and just hangs;
Last login: Wed Aug 28 06:29:56 on console
gallagher:~ bruceselzler$ alias gam="python ~/gam/gam.py"
gallagher:~ bruceselzler$ gam info org "/SSD Students/Class of 2014"
Organization Unit: Class of 2014
Parent Org: /SSD Students
Full Org Path: /SSD Students/Class of 2014
Block Inheritance: False
Users:

Additionally when I try the addfile command it acts like it cant find the file, even though its in the same director as gam.py;

gallagher:~ bruceselzler$ gam update org "/SSD Students/Class of 2014" add file 8thGrade13141.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/bruceselzler/gam/gam.py", line 5790, in <module>
    doUpdateOrg()
  File "/Users/bruceselzler/gam/gam.py", line 3585, in doUpdateOrg
    users = getUsersToModify(entity_type=sys.argv[5], entity=sys.argv[6])
  File "/Users/bruceselzler/gam/gam.py", line 5502, in getUsersToModify
    usernames = csv.reader(open(filename, 'rb'))
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '8thGrade13141.txt'

Bruce Selzler

Aug 28, 2013, 6:25:23 PM8/28/13
to Andrew Rowland, google-ap...@googlegroups.com

Hello Team,

I even tried downgrading to ver 2.55.  Some features started working, but the addfile command still doesn't work.

===========================
Bruce Selzler
Manager of Instructional
Technology & Student Information
===========================
Please don't print this e-mail.  You already have it!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Andrew Rowland <andrewr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nope, still have not fixed it. I haven't had time to check it out anymore though.

Sean Daly

Sep 5, 2013, 10:30:19 AM9/5/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
I am having the same issue.  I am trying to move an existing student to a sub-domain and it hangs, when I cancel the operation it gives a 404 OrgUnit not found error.  But if I do gam info org students, it will give me the basic OU info, but then hang when it looks for users!

Bruce Selzler

Sep 5, 2013, 11:15:59 AM9/5/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Rowland
Hello Team,

I was having similar issues so I did a complete re install of the software.  Now everything appears to be working, but I have no idea what it was that was creating the problem in the first place.

- Sez

===========================

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Sean Daly <sd...@gvboces.org> wrote:
I am having the same issue.  I am trying to move an existing student to a sub-domain and it hangs, when I cancel the operation it gives a 404 OrgUnit not found error.  But if I do gam info org students, it will give me the basic OU info, but then hang when it looks for users!

Daniel Sharpe

Sep 9, 2013, 4:49:01 PM9/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
Yup I'm in the same boat. Tried to update via text file and through "addgroup" but it's hanging up.

I noticed in the Windows Task Manager that gam.exe is working pretty hard (using about 30 to 40% of my CPU while the command prompt appears to be stuck.

Hope someone notices what's wrong as this will save me a ton of time assuming I can get it to work.

Dan

Jay Lee

Sep 9, 2013, 5:18:47 PM9/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com

Daniel Sharpe

Sep 9, 2013, 8:13:47 PM9/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, andrewr...@gmail.com
Update:

So I went home and tried to run the same command and it worked! I think it has to do with the proxy at my district? Go figure.

Dan

Eric Burns-White

Sep 23, 2013, 3:58:50 PM9/23/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I'm having this exact issue on 3.01. Even getting org info causes it to hang up, always right at the point where it's trying to get the list of users associated with a specific OU.