Graduating Students, or how do I move some users from one OU to another OU?

Michael Maness

Aug 4, 2014, 10:21:43 AM8/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Trying to update our students for the coming school year. We haven't had to do this before since we just implemented Google Apps for Education this past year.

Students follow the following naming convention (First 3 letters of first name)(First 3 letters of last name)(Graduation year)@domain.net

So John Smith who graduates in 2018 would be johs...@domain.org

I need to move last years seniors out which would be all users ending in 14.

I need to move last years 8th graders up to the High School OU, so all users ending in 18.

I need to move last years 5th graders up to the Middle School OU, so all users ending in 21.

What's the easiest way to get this done?

James Hatz

Aug 13, 2014, 2:23:21 PM8/13/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
What I did, I did in the normal Apps GUI.
To start I made both a HS and Elem Student OU.
Then I created OU's under each - with the "Year" as the name - so for instance I had "2014" OU under the HS Student OU.  Each OU is then filled with students by the Graduation year.
When the sixth graders become 7th Graders - I simply moved their OU from Elementary to HS.
Makes housekeeping extremely easy.