API Limits for Vault

Sam Woodhouse

Jan 30, 2019, 11:02:51 AM1/30/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Ross/Jay,

I think this question is probably asked very frequently, but I'm trying to do an export of a big bunch of users (100+) and I'm wanting to do it as automated as possible.

Looking at the quotas I'm seeing that running a command to create a single export hits the ExportWrites API 20 times. Which seems like a lot, for a single account.

gam create export matter "Matter Name" corpus mail accounts "em...@domain.com"

The above command is the one that I'm running, the developer console states that's used 20 writes:

Vault Export: GAM MAIL Export - 2019-01-30T15:36:00+00:00(exportly-IDHERE), Created

APIs___Services_-_GAM_Project_-_Google_API_Console.png

Is there a more efficient way for me to create these exports or is it just a take it or leave it? Given the quota of 40 it means that I can in theory only write 2 exports a minute and the built-in timeout function in GAM seems to break the process after a while.

For reference I'm using the following:

Ross Scroggs <ross.s...@gmail.com>
Python 2.7.15 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.7.7
httplib2 0.12.0
auth2client 4.1.3
Darwin-18.2.0-x86_64-i386-64bit x86_64

Kind Regards,
Sam
Message has been deleted

Sam Woodhouse

Jan 31, 2019, 12:04:45 PM1/31/19
to GAM for G Suite
So, to follow up, I've managed to create the exports using bash and using a lot of pausing. I would still be interested in knowing if there is a more efficient way of using less API calls.

However, my next issue is that I've got a long list of export ID's and I can't seem to pass them through to GAM via a bash script.

If I type the command

$gam download vaultexport uid:$line matter uid:typedID noextract targetfolderpath "path/to/Exports/"

Where $line is the exportlyID (can see this is right via just echo'ing the output) it doesn't do anything. Manually typing out the exact same command but without referencing things automatically through bash and the command works, it just seems to be something happening when running it through bash.

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Sam