Problems delegating mailboxes

Jonathan Stade

Jun 25, 2014, 6:30:06 PM6/25/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
We've been having quite a few troubles with trying to delegate mailboxes over the past few weeks. This is what we're getting:

[accounts@hostname gam]$ gam user parking delegate to username
Giving user...@mtroyal.ca delegate access to par...@mtroyal.ca (1 of 1)
Temp error. Backing off 16 seconds...attempt 5/10
Temp error. Backing off 32 seconds...attempt 6/10
Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 7/10
Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 8/10
Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 9/10
Temp error. Backing off 60 seconds...attempt 10/10
 - giving up.

The issue is intermittent, but has been quite persistent. We're running 3.21:

[accounts@skrifari gam]$ gam version
Dito GAM 3.21
Python 2.6.6 64-bit final
google-api-python-client 1.2
Linux-2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64-x86_64-with-redhat-6.5-Santiago x86_64

Is anyone else having this issue? It is having a big impact on our rollout to faculty and staff. I'm not even certain whether the issue is a GAM issue, or a rate issue with Google. Is there a way to turn on debugging of some sort to see the exact error that is coming back?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

~Jonathan Stade
System Administrator
Mount Royal University

Jay Lee

Jul 4, 2014, 7:27:24 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time I've gotten this failure it was due to one of a few possible issues:
  • That delegation already existing. It may have been in a PENDING or REJECTED state in which case GAM can't get it to APPROVED, the user must manually delete the delegation in their Gmail.

  • The users don't exist or aren't in the same domain.

  • Your not specifying the primary address of both users (don't use aliases

Dave Kaminsky

Jul 4, 2014, 8:32:34 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

It's the 4th of July, take a day to be free from email

-dave

Sent from my iPhone

Jay Lee

Jul 4, 2014, 8:35:55 AM7/4/14
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Says the guy who read my 4th of July email and responded :-)

But seriously, Arthur's dampening our Independence Day plans early but we're hoping it'll clear by 4pm so we can enjoy the town parade and fireworks!

Jay Lee