parameter for recursive

KNM Zeder

Jan 17, 2022, 3:30:40 PM1/17/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
Hello,

is there a parameter for doing things for all folders and sub folders
(recursive)?

And: How I can find the answer in the wiki? I can't find a search field...

Thanks,
Micha

Mailadresse nur für die interne Kommunikation in der Wichern-Schule.

Bitte immer statt Namen die Pseudonyme verwenden.

Ross Scroggs

Jan 17, 2022, 3:33:50 PM1/17/22
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Micha,

Define "doing things".

Ross

Peter Smulders

Jan 21, 2022, 9:01:16 AM1/21/22
to GAM for Google Workspace
I think what you mean is "do stuff with files (selecting, modifying) from a certain folder, down into all the folders within folders underneath". What you are looking for in that case, is a 'depth' parameter. Most (if not all) operations where this is relevant have such a parameter.

depth 0 would mean "only do whatever in the folder you specify; i.e. do not traverse into deeper folders.
depth 1 would mean "process current folder and 1 below but no further"

Leaving off this parameter typically defaults to unlimited depth, i.e. go deeper into branches of folders until there is none deeper to go into.

(NB: be aware that "recursive" means something more and sometimes scary to programmers, where you most likely only mean the more mathematical sense of "deeper into a hierarchy until a certain point and/or end")

hth -- Peter