Service not applicable / Does not exist : The caller does not have permission

Gareth Shaw

Apr 4, 2020, 10:26:38 AM4/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello

I am trying to import my Guardian emails into Classroom via CSV using GAM.

I did this a while (around 12 - 18 months) ago and it worked fine.

Now when I try I get the message as per the title of this questions.

Please help I am at my whits end I have removed / reinstalled GAM and also checked my csv and everything.

I need this to work as soon as possible, due to school closure due to COVID-19 this is way to help parents when it comes to online learning.

Many thanks

Gareth

Gareth Shaw

Apr 4, 2020, 10:39:44 AM4/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
I am also using GAM and GAMadv-xtd both with the same results.

Ross Scroggs

Apr 4, 2020, 10:52:33 AM4/4/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Gareth,

Do: gam oauth info
Note the email address in this line: G Suite Admin: us...@domain.com
Do: gam print admins
Find the line that has us...@domain.com in the assignedToUser column
What is the value in the role column?
If there is no such row or the role is not _SEED_ADMIN_ROLE do the following
Login to the Google Admin Console
Click Admin roles
Hover over Super Admin and click Assign admin at the end of the row
Click Assign role
Enter us...@domain.com in Add users
Click ASSIGN ROLE

The ENGLISH Academy

This e-mail comes to you from The English Academy (TEA). Opinions and thoughts within this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of the management of TEA.

If you have received this e-mail by mistake, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Can we ask you not to disclose the information contained within to other parties and to delete it from your computer? Thank you.

This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses. Please be aware that the scanner may not detect every virus. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate anti-virus protection. TEA accepts no liability for any loss or damage incurred as a result of downloading any files attached to this e-mail.

For further information relating to TEA, please have a look a www.tea.edu.kw

Gareth Shaw

Apr 4, 2020, 11:40:23 AM4/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello Ross

Thanks for the Reply

Please see below

I am have SEED ADMIN for my email address. What now ?

G Suite Admin: g...@tea.edu.kw

Expires: 2020-04-04T19:35:47+00:00

garethshaw@Gareths-iMac gamadv-xtd % gam print admins

roleAssignmentId,roleId,role,assignedTo,assignedToUser,scopeType,orgUnitId,orgUnit

704571399733250,704571399733249,_SEED_ADMIN_ROLE,105935717784795956544,@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733254,704571399733249,_SEED_ADMIN_ROLE,117599847622160552783,@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733263,704571399733256,_SERVICE_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,g...@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733264,704571399733253,_GROUPS_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,g...@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733267,704571399733255,_HELP_DESK_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,g...@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733268,704571399733254,_USER_MANAGEMENT_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,g...@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733269,704571399733249,_SEED_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,g...@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733273,704571399733257,_PLAY_FOR_WORK_ADMIN_ROLE,116717210006933152693,uid:116717210006933152693,CUSTOMER,,

Ross Scroggs

Apr 4, 2020, 12:05:09 PM4/4/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Gareth,

When you did gam oauth info, was this link included?

The ENGLISH Academy

This e-mail comes to you from The English Academy (TEA). Opinions and thoughts within this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of the management of TEA.

If you have received this e-mail by mistake, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Can we ask you not to disclose the information contained within to other parties and to delete it from your computer? Thank you.

This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses. Please be aware that the scanner may not detect every virus. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate anti-virus protection. TEA accepts no liability for any loss or damage incurred as a result of downloading any files attached to this e-mail.

For further information relating to TEA, please have a look a www.tea.edu.kw

Gareth Shaw

Apr 4, 2020, 12:07:27 PM4/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
HI Ross

Yes, please see below :

garethshaw@Gareths-iMac gamadv-xtd % gam oauth info

Client OAuth2 File: /Users/garethshaw/.gam/oauth2.txt

Client ID: 684849849619-rdgvjjnoast2hjh8g95ju7b4s72fb248.apps.googleusercontent.com

Scopes: 39

  https://apps-apis.google.com/a/feeds/compliance/audit/

  https://apps-apis.google.com/a/feeds/emailsettings/2.0/

  https://sites.google.com/feeds

  https://www.google.com/m8/feeds

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.datatransfer

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.customer

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.device.chromeos

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.device.mobile

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.domain

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.group

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.orgunit

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.resource.calendar

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.rolemanagement

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.security

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.userschema

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.reports.audit.readonly

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.reports.usage.readonly

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.groups.migration

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.groups.settings

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.licensing

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.order

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.announcements

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.courses

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.coursework.students

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.guardianlinks.students

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.profile.emails

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.profile.photos

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.rosters

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/classroom.topics

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/cloudprint

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/contacts

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/devstorage.read_only

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/ediscovery

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/siteverification

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.email

  https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.profile

  openid

Thanks

Gareth

704571399733264,704571399733253,_GROUPS_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,gsh@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733269,704571399733249,_SEED_ADMIN_ROLE,100834997190235490005,gsh@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,

704571399733274,704571399733249,_SEED_ADMIN_ROLE,105238371573647080147,@tea.edu.kw,CUSTOMER,,On Saturday, 4 April 2020 17:26:38 UTC+3, Gareth Shaw wrote:
[...]

Ross Scroggs

Apr 4, 2020, 12:10:43 PM4/4/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Gareth,

On the admin console, go here: Apps
G Suite
Settings for Classroom
General settings

Is guardian access on?

Ross

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/33e396df-8f9d-4966-8df4-0cfe7319976a%40googlegroups.com.

Gareth Shaw

Apr 4, 2020, 12:14:28 PM4/4/20
to GAM for G Suite
Yes it is

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 7.13.02 PM.png

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 19:10:43 UTC+3, Ross Scroggs wrote:
Gareth,

On the admin console, go here: Apps
G Suite
Settings for Classroom
General settings

Is guardian access on?

Ross

+KimNilsson

Apr 5, 2020, 4:42:25 AM4/5/20
to GAM for G Suite
@Gareth,

most likely you have one or more Classrooms whose owner/creator account doesn't exist anymore.
GAM can't act on a Classroom unless it's owned by an existing account. Even if it has teacher accounts that exist, if they aren't the actual owner.
If that's the case, there's nothing you can do. The API doesn't allow you do act on such Classrooms.

Find the exact Classroom that's giving you grief and verify that, then exclude that from your command. You will just have to accept that you can't do it via API.
I think perhaps that the secondary teacher can activate Guardians manually, but I don't remember.

Make sure that the deleted teacher isn't still among the Recently Deleted. If it is then you still have a chance. Not sure if a disabled teacher will impair GAM's ability to manage Classroom.

Gareth Shaw

Apr 5, 2020, 6:15:35 AM4/5/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello Kim,

Thanks for your response.

But this would give the caller does not have permission for every single guardian I try to import via CSV ?

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth Shaw

Apr 5, 2020, 6:17:02 AM4/5/20
to GAM for G Suite
Also Kim,

Can I use GAM / API to list the classrooms and associated teachers ? If so how would I go about doing this, sorry I am just getting to terms with GAM.

Many thanks

Gareth

+KimNilsson

Apr 5, 2020, 7:25:26 AM4/5/20
to GAM for G Suite
gam print courses todrive

Will give you a nice Google Sheet of all courses in your domain.

Yes, for each Classroom owned by such a deleted teacher all guardian requests should fail.

But, something the API doesn't really take into account... each guardian only needs to be invited ONCE PER STUDENT!
You don't need to invite each guardian for each course.

When a guardian accepts a Classroom invite that is valid for all Classroom courses that student participates in forever.

That's why having a Grade Year course or Home Room course comes in handy, so you know you are inviting all students' guardians, but only once.

Next step is activating Guardian summaries. When that is done, Classroom automatically pulls in the accepted guardians.

At least that's how it used to work.

Gareth Shaw2

Apr 29, 2020, 10:59:26 AM4/29/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hello

I have now got time to look at this again.

I have removed (deleted) and re-installed GAM on my iMac.

Just out curiosity how do you start GAM once you start a new terminal session ? I looked at alias and doesn't seem to work.

I digress ... Going back to Kim's point about classrooms being owned by existing teachers. We use a system called Salamander to link Google to PASS (out school MIS) via the API. This build our classrooms and populates them based on our MIS system. For each year group we have a admin user created for google classroom (i.e. gcadmin2019-y10@... is for this school year, year 10 Google Classrooms).

Can I get a list of who owns the google classrooms to help locate the rouge teacher(s) and also can I then remove the user and their classrooms using GAM ?

I am looking at how to solve this so I can add guardians. Looking for it manually will take a long time, just seeing if I can automate it.

Looking forward to your replies and help.

Thanks

Gareth

Kim Nilsson

Apr 29, 2020, 12:31:04 PM4/29/20
to Google Apps Manager
gam print courses todrive fields owneremail

And add any other fields you may need.

/Kim
--
There is No Substitute!

Gareth Shaw2

Apr 30, 2020, 8:44:30 AM4/30/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Kim

Sorry for the delay, as I say I finally have a little bit of time look at this.

This instruction does not give me a list of the classroom owners email, am I able to do that.

Also, is there a PDF or something which has details of all the commands I can use and their syntax ?

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth Shaw2

Apr 30, 2020, 8:48:50 AM4/30/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi Kim

Ignore my request for PDF - found the Wiki has some stuff in to get started with.

But please how can I list the email of the teacher in each course ? Is this possible ?

Thanks

Gareth

Ross Scroggs

Apr 30, 2020, 10:02:29 AM4/30/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Gareth,

gam print courses owneremail

In the same folder as the GAM executable is a file named GamCommand.txt will the syntax for all GAM commands.

Gareth Shaw

Apr 30, 2020, 11:02:44 AM4/30/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Great got it !

Next questions .. can I send guardian invites only to classrooms that only a certain teacher is in. As explained earlier each yeargroup has a user in ALLL Google Classrooms by default (gcadmin2019-y10@.....).

So can I send guardian invites to all the classrooms that this teacher appears in ? So in this case all Year 10 classes ?

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth Shaw

Apr 30, 2020, 11:06:01 AM4/30/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Or if I now get a list of classrooms that have old teachers (ones that have left our school) in them can I then remove these via GAM using a csv ?

Henry Abbey

Oct 5, 2023, 12:17:57 PM10/5/23
to GAM for Google Workspace
For a two-column csv file "student-email" and "parent-email" named guardians.csv

gamadv-xtd3 on a Mac

Try:
gam csv guardians.csv gam user '~~student-email~~' create guardianinvite '~~parent-email~~'