New to GAM for G Suite... apps.alerts always fails during initial setup.

Walter Alexander

Nov 19, 2019, 12:19:23 PM11/19/19
to GAM for G Suite
Hello everyone.  I am brand new to GAM for G Suite.  I downloaded and installed the MSI, and have been going through the setup.  I'm stuck on this one part... I made it bold and larger text.  I've granted the client name to all the scopes several times, but just keep looping back to this failure on the apps.alerts scope.  I don't know how to fix this.

Are you ready to authorize GAM to manage G Suite user data and settings? [y or n] y

Please enter the email address of a regular G Suite user: [REMOVED FOR SECURITY]
Great! Checking service account scopes. This will fail the first time. Follow the steps to authorize and retry. It can take a few minutes for scopes to PASS after they've been authorized in the admin console.
Computer clock status:
 Your system time differs from Google by less than 1 second                 PASS
Service Account Private Key Authentication:
 Authenticating...                                                          PASS
Domain-Wide Delegation authentication as [REMOVED FOR SECURITY]:
 https://mail.google.com/                                                   PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/activity                                   PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.alerts                                FAIL
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar                                   PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive                                      PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/gmail.settings.basic                       PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/gmail.settings.sharing                     PASS
 https://www.googleapis.com/auth/spreadsheets                               PASS

ERROR: Some scopes failed! Please go to:

and grant Client name:

[REMOVED FOR SECURITY]

Access to scopes:

Service account authorization failed. Confirm you entered the scopes correctly in the admin console. It can take a few minutes for scopes to PASS after they are entered in the admin console so if you're sure you entered them correctly, go grab a coffee and then hit Y to try again. Say N to skip admin authorization.

Are you ready to authorize GAM to manage G Suite user data and settings? [y or n]

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you --- Walter

Walter Alexander

Nov 19, 2019, 12:23:20 PM11/19/19
to GAM for G Suite

gam1.JPG

Here's a screenshot of the Google Admin screen....

Ross Scroggs

Nov 19, 2019, 12:48:19 PM11/19/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Walter,

The service account setup usually takes seconds but can take many minutes or longer.
You won't be using the commands that require that scope anytime soon anyway so just keep going.
(There may also be some global setting that has to be turned on to enable the Alert Center but I can't remember it at the moment.)

Ross

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 9:23 AM 'Walter Alexander' via GAM for G Suite <google-ap...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

gam1.JPG

Here's a screenshot of the Google Admin screen....

Jay Lee

Nov 19, 2019, 12:53:06 PM11/19/19
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
It can take as much as 24 hours. Grab coffee, do a cross-word puzzle, put it down till tomorrow... :-)

Tom Leroux

May 18, 2020, 4:24:33 AM5/18/20
to GAM for G Suite
Hi, I am It-manager at a secondary school in Belgium and had the same scope (https://www.googleapis.com/auth/apps.alerts) that failed in the setup of gam. I started the setup 2 days ago and still get the same fail on apss.alerts. Can it be that I have to activate a specific google service to get this to work. I allready activated the extra google service app maker 2 days ago.
I completed the gam setup on our old g suite (sintvincentiusdeinze.be) without a problem, but for this new gsutie (which will serve a group of 3 schools) it does not work.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Tom Leroux

Glen Pringle

May 18, 2020, 10:34:08 PM5/18/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
You need to go into Apps->Additional Services in the admin console and turn on "Access to additional services without individual control for all organisational units" (it's at the top of the page - above the list of apps). Once you've done that, re-run the command and it should pass.

IndividControl.png

Note for anyone else who encounters the same issue with Classroom course topics - it's the same fix.

--
Glen Pringle

Tom Leroux

May 19, 2020, 4:08:12 AM5/19/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hello Glenn,
thank you very much for your answer. It worked like a charm, and I also noted that on our old gsuite domain that access was turned on, so it makes sense that I had no problems with the authorization check in that domain.

Tom Leroux
IT Leiepoort campus Sint-Vincentius

Op di 19 mei 2020 om 04:34 schreef Glen Pringle <gl...@usingtechnologybetter.com>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GAM for G Suite" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-apps-manager/CABabBqLiAs9dwymD%2BMRi6ABL1P7oMV8OKKROXS-u_PE4eaP_fA%40mail.gmail.com.

Glen Pringle

May 19, 2020, 7:23:37 PM5/19/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Yes, I've encountered the exact same thing with old domains having it turned on but new ones it's turned off. I suspect that when Google introduced this option it was turned on for existing domains (or at least existing domains that match some requirement) but it is off by default for new domains. I had to go through 4 or 5 different Google support people to find someone who could tell me the answer to this issue! I am of the opinion that this is a bug (Classroom course topics and Alerts are core G Suite services and should not be controlled from additional services!) and will try to get Google to treat it as such.

Glen

+KimNilsson

May 20, 2020, 9:04:27 AM5/20/20
to GAM for G Suite
This was a definite change of default setting Google did for all G Suite for Education domains, but all existing domains got an email about it, and the existing setting didn't change afaik.

Just like they have done with Additional Services twice! But there they forced all admins to take a stand, to make an active change, even if it was to just save the current setting once.

Tom Leroux

May 20, 2020, 3:31:24 PM5/20/20
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen, I also allready contacted google support with no success.
So I 'm very glad you helped. I agree that Google Classroom course and Alerts are core G Suite features and should be controllable from within the basic G Suite services. It would be nice if Google would change that.

Tom Leroux