Allowing non-domain members to view domain-based Google group

BGM

Jul 1, 2013, 9:54:42 PM7/1/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com

We have a domain registered with Google, and I've created a google group within the domain. We have added several non-domain members to the group.

Now, these folks can receive emails from the group with no problem.

But I notice that only folks who have domain email addresses can view the web-group page - everyone else gets a login page. When they try to access the group, they receive a page like this (it's blank, except for that!):

enter image description here

How can I give access to the web-group page to non-domain members?

Andy Wong

Jul 3, 2013, 10:48:41 AM7/3/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Try this. Starting from Gmail:

Is this your setting?

"Manage this domain > Google Apps > Setting for Groups for Business > Advanced Setting > Sharing Options" is "Private - No one outside this domain can access groups. Existing external members can only send email to groups.".

If yes, change it to "Public on the Internet"

BGM

Jul 8, 2013, 9:53:35 AM7/8/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Ah!  That must be it!

Now, I only want certain groups visible, not all of them.  Will this setting make them all visible, or only allow the possibility?

BGM

Jul 9, 2013, 6:54:21 PM7/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that works.  Problem is that I have other groups that I don't want to be known outside the domain at all.  I find that even though outsiders can't get in, they can still see that the group exists, and can "report" the group if they don't like me.

How do I fix that?