Using GAM to set the "adminCreated" Groups property

Daniel Spillers

Jan 6, 2015, 1:17:19 PM1/6/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Does GAM have any ability to set the Groups property "adminCreated"? This is the property that flags whether or not a group was created by admin or by a user using the groups.google.com "Create Group" feature.

When I do a group info command, it reports the value of adminCreated. I can see that it is "false" for user-created groups, and "true" for a group created in the Admin UI (admin.google.com), or by GAM itself.

I'd love to use GAM to create (or update) a group where "adminCreated: false". Is this possible (now or in the future)?

Use Case

We use Google Apps Directory Sync to synchronize our LDAP directory with our GA domain. We have Groups for Business turned on. We want to be able to manage some groups via LDAP (i.e., creation, auto-populated membership), but allow other groups to have their memberships and settings managed by the group owners. In both situations, we want to control which groups get created, handing over membership control to group owners for any groups not in our LDAP directory.

We plan on using GAM to help automate group creation, but because it creates groups with "adminCreated: true" set, then those groups get deleted by Directory Sync if they don't exist in LDAP. Google Apps Directory Sync ignores any groups with "adminCreated: false".

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,

daniel

Jay Lee

Jan 6, 2015, 1:46:45 PM1/6/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately adminCreated is read-only. There's nothing GAM can do to toggle it.

Jay Lee

Daniel Spillers

Jan 6, 2015, 5:03:26 PM1/6/15
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the fast reply.

And I'm assuming there's no API for creating groups wholly in Groups for Business (i.e., getting the adminCreated set to false as part of group creation)? Are all API-created groups adminCreated: true?

Fred Bean

Jay Lee

Fred Bean

Sam

Sam

Oct 9, 2018, 10:17:16 AM10/9/18
to GAM for G Suite

Sorry I see the earlier part  of the thread...  Not possible...  Thanks!

+KimNilsson

Oct 11, 2018, 9:41:44 AM10/11/18
to GAM for G Suite
Guys, have you tried using GAM with a regular user, without giving it admin access?

IIRC, if you allow a user to create groups manually, that same user should be allowed to do it via the APIs also.
Since the user isn't an admin, it should be tagged with adminCreated:false.

Right?