Errors with OpenID2 in the users API on a custom domain

Joel E

Jun 13, 2014, 6:17:46 PM6/13/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently developing a Google App Engine app and have it setup with a custom domain. Recently, I've been working on switching login over to the OpenID 2 system built into the users API. Everything works fine until I try it through my custom domain (codecloud.byte-games.com). The first issue was Google displaying a 400 error when requesting OpenID login with Google as the provider. I managed to fix that by asking Miguel Andres register the domain manually on the deprecated Google OpenID 2 system. (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-federated-login-api/eIz-i1UYhQY/1LcD2tBxUAMJ) After that was fixed I continued my testing and found a similar issue, this time when loging in with a non-Google OpenID on the custom domain. I managed to implement a temp fix by redirecting users to the appspot domain but that is far from ideal.

Basically, whenever the user finishes login with the OpenID provider and returns to my app at the http://codecloud.byte-games.com/_ah/openid_verify?continue=http://codecloud.byte-games.com/.... URL it displays the 500 App Engine server error page. When I do the exact same thing except from the appstop domain it works fine. Nothing gets logged in the logs and I have no way of controlling that so it seems to be an error in App Engine itself. I would contact support about this but I'm using the bronze level so I can't do that. It would be AWESOME if someone at Google could look into this.

Thanks!
Joel