How to resolve google app engine latency while autoscaling?

Bala Subramanian Sutherson

Mar 25, 2020, 5:43:37 AM3/25/20
to Google App Engine

Our project is running on the Google App Engine standard environment with auto-scaling configured to automatic. Warm up requests are enabled in the app and we are using Google Endpoints service. However, I am facing latency issue while scaling up. For example, it's taking more than 50 seconds for the API. From the application log I can notice that loading the AppEngineWebAppContext itself is taking upto 52 seconds. How can I reduce the latency during scaling?

Environment: Java 8

Instance type: F4_1G

David (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 25, 2020, 2:59:47 PM3/25/20
to Google App Engine

Hello,

The first request made after deployment usually takes longer than subsequent requests as well as the first request when an application has not been serving traffic for a while since it will be a loading request. As you mentioned, using warmup requests is a way to reduce or avoid this latency. However, please note that warmup requests won’t work in every case. Now, if you have noticed that even after that initial request, while your application is serving requests normally it’s still taking a while, I would recommend you to increase the number of minimum idle instances so there will be an instance ready to handle requests which should reduce the latency while autoscaling.

However, if you believe the delay is unusual and you would like to get more detailed information, you may open a support ticket where your application would be analyzed in order to get more information about what could be causing this delay. Please note that if you are during a free trial period, you are able to open a support ticket using the free trial support.