Stackdriver: Thoughts?

Kaan Soral

Jun 28, 2018, 8:11:39 AM6/28/18
to Google App Engine
I personally use App Engine as It allows (or rather, allowed) me to concentrate on product (in theory), rather than itsy bitsy stuff

Up to now I ignored the Stackdriver emails, and only now checked what actually it was telling (Ignored because I'm here for the PaaS, If I was going to use multiple services individually, I'd have invested my efforts in AWS back in the day)

Anyway, long story short, my 3 main projects seem to be digesting 230, 460, and 1300GB's monthly, as I understand, I'll start paying $0.5 per GB now, which makes $995 monthly, considering I paid ~$600/mo for everything up to now, bumping that up to $1600 seems extreme, I might be doing the calculation wrong, or I might be logging too much stuff

Anyway, my thoughts are negative (Appreciate the very very very early warnings, and the effort, yet inspecting this last email, investing 15 minutes into understanding things, It's not enough to grasp the change in pricing, as an example, the link in the email that's supposed to bring you to "Billable log volume across a billing account available" - directs you to main billing page - Just a summarised, hey, here's what you paid, and here's what you'll pay now email would be the best)

Franz Matheis

Jun 28, 2018, 10:19:16 AM6/28/18
to Google App Engine
I think the email they sent has the information wrong and the real amount of logs you are ingesting might be much lower.

Have you checked the amounts in the dashboard?

You can see it here for each project  ------>   https://console.cloud.google.com/logs/usage?project=XXXXXX

Kaan Soral

Jun 29, 2018, 1:39:42 AM6/29/18
to Google App Engine
Indeed, it seems they corrected them now, I checked originally, but thought maybe the reported metrics could be reduced if there are free quotas I didn't know about

Dinesh (Google Platform Support)

Jun 29, 2018, 10:01:18 AM6/29/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Kaan,

Thanks for your feedback and confirmation that the issue is resolved now. Just to add, you can find detailed information about Free and excluded logs, general tips about reducing your logs usage, Monitoring and pricing in this documentation[1].

This page[2] describes Logs Exclusions in detail.
I hope it helps.

Regards,