Channel API - Channels Created Costs

cr...@portical.com.au

Oct 4, 2014, 7:33:57 PM10/4/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a paid app and can see the quota is 90,040 per day for channels created.

I have looked at all the pricing pages from cloud services and developer pricing pages and can not see any prices regarding the cost per channel created after the 100 free limit.

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas#Channel this page only says the daily limit is "Based on your budget" but I do not see any costs anywhere on the web.

Am I to assume that I get 90,040 free per day for having a paid app?

Mihail Russu

Oct 5, 2014, 4:01:20 PM10/5/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You can use appstats to find out and calculate costs for any of your GAE handlers/functions. A quick test reveals that creating a channel costs 10,000 micro-pennies (1 dollar equals 100 pennies, 1 penny equals 1 million micropennies), which is considered expensive since, if compared, 1 datastore read by key costs only 100 micropennies, so 1 cent USD would let you create 100 channels.

Also, I am not sure what is the 90,040 (or 95,040 in my case) limit is about since considering that there are 1,440 minutes per day and according to the like you provided where it says that GAE allows 60 channels created per minute, that calculates to 86,400 MAX channels that can be created, no matter what the budget is (which is not that much if you think about it). It would be great if anyone could clarify this or point to any errors in my calculations.

Thanks,
Mihail.

Alexis

Oct 7, 2014, 4:23:16 AM10/7/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We've been using the Channel API for a while and since March 2014 pricing changes (http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.fr/2014/03/google-cloud-platform-live-blending-iaas-and-paas-moores-law-for-the-cloud.html)
Channel created are free. They used to be priced at 1 cent for 100 created, which appstats still seems to reflect.