The future of prospective search

Frederik Creemers

May 6, 2015, 3:58:57 PM5/6/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am building an application, which could make great use of the prospective search feature. But the fact that it's in Alpha scares me. It's been in alpha for years, now, you could even say that it's alpha state has stabilized :). I understand that Google is focussing on Google Cloud Dataflow, Google Cloud PubSub, and other products that make processing real-time data easier, so that makes me even more scare about the fate of prospective search.

What should I expect? Can I experiment with it, or am I wasting time if I do because it's going away? Can I use it in production?

Chris Ramsdale

May 6, 2015, 6:46:48 PM5/6/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
hey Frederik,

the prospective search API has been in Alpha way too long, i agree.  we're currently working through options on what to do with that particular API moving forward.  the functionality is very useful (IMO), but the underlying integration between the backend service (internal to Google) and Cloud Datastore is not ideal longer term.  i would suggest holding off on using this API for any production workloads at this point.

related, i get that there is some cruft in the overall API set; some APIs lingering in Alpha and Beta for months to years.  we're in the process of looking deeply into the situation.  look for an update in the next 1-2 months.

-- Chris

Product Manager, Google Cloud Platform

PK

May 6, 2015, 7:13:19 PM5/6/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

thanks for showing leadership on the API status lingering issue. Any other APIs you would suggest we hold off from using while you go through the internal evaluation?

Thanks