No Pull Queues for Node.js Standard Environment?

Govind Rai

Jul 15, 2019, 1:49:38 PM7/15/19
to Google App Engine
I want to add and lease tasks from pull queues, but apparently GAE docs only support python and go. Is this in the works? Are pull queues being phased out? Why no node support?

Elliott (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 15, 2019, 4:17:28 PM7/15/19
to Google App Engine
Hello Govind,

To have your question addressed, please click the “Send Feedback” link at the bottom of this page, then “Documentation feedback” and follow the steps to ask your question. The documentation team will look into this matter for you.

Andrew Gorcester

Jul 15, 2019, 4:38:01 PM7/15/19
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Pardon my interjection, my team works on these docs and so I might be able to comment up front. The Python 2.7 (only) and Go 1.9 (only) runtimes are "first generation" App Engine runtimes which use the App Engine Task Queues API which is internal to App Engine and not compatible with other products. The other runtimes, including the newer versions of Python and Go and also other supported languages such as Node, are "second generation" App Engine runtimes and instead of using App Engine-specific APIs, they have access to the Cloud-wide APIs such as Cloud Tasks and Cloud Pub/Sub which are what we recommend going forward.

In the specific case of pull queues, we instead recommend using the Cloud Pub/Sub API which provides much of the pull queue functionality separate from Task Queues. However, if this doesn't serve your needs, please reply to this email (or directly to me) with feedback as we're actively gathering customer feedback about any use cases that aren't covered by the new APIs.