Could Mailman run on AppEngine?

Nevin Freeman

May 19, 2009, 5:13:57 PM5/19/09
to Google App Engine
Has anyone tried to port Mailman (http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/
index.html) to run on AppEngine? I'm assuming there would be some
major barriers, but I think they might be beyond what I have time for.
All comments on the topic welcome!

Thanks,
Nevin

Wooble

May 20, 2009, 9:04:50 AM5/20/09
to Google App Engine
An App Engine app can't receive email at all right now; I think that's
probably more than a "major barrier".

Receiving mail is on the roadmap; I wouldn't be surprised to see
mailing list software running on App Engine once it's possible.

Nick Johnson (Google)

May 20, 2009, 9:33:16 AM5/20/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
As Wooble points out, receiving email is not currently possible with
App Engine, though third-party services like smtp2web.com exist to
facilitate this. More to the point, App Engine puts restrictions on
what email you can send using it - the 'from' field must always be the
logged in user or one of the app's administrators. This makes App
Engine a poor choice - in my opinion - for running a mailing list.

You can always create your own Google Group instead, though - it has
all the features you're likely to need in a mailing list.

-Nick Johnson