Any update on Cloud Tasks beta?

Malte Meister

Sep 4, 2018, 4:37:18 PM9/4/18
to Google App Engine
It seems like the Cloud Tasks beta release is imminent? Is there any ETA?
I'm asking because I'm about to implement a feature for a Node.js app in the Standard Environment, and I would love to use Task Queues rather than having to design something more complicated. Some indication of when this might become available would ease my decision making.

Some documentation/resources [1][2] are already available. Trying to create a queue fails as shown below. The linked documentation produces a 404.

> gcloud beta tasks queues create-app-engine-queue <name> --project=<project_id>
WARNING: You are managing queues with gcloud, do not use queue.yaml or queue.xml in the future. More details at: https://cloud.google.com/cloud-tasks/docs/queue-yaml.
API [cloudtasks.googleapis.com] not enabled on project [<id>].
 Would you like to enable and retry (this will take a few minutes)?
(y/N)?  y

Enabling service cloudtasks.googleapis.com on project <id>...
ERROR: (gcloud.beta.tasks.queues.create-app-engine-queue) User [<email>] does not have permission to access service [cloudtasks.googleapis.com:enable] (or it may not exist): The caller does not have permission

See related discussions here:

edgaral...@google.com

Sep 6, 2018, 4:42:42 PM9/6/18
to Google App Engine

- Unfortunately we do not have an ETA currently available for the release of the Cloud Task Beta. The best way to track its release would be to review the release notes:

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/nodejs/release-notes

- The page is producing a 404 as you would need to get opt-in the Alpha program for Cloud Task:
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/taskqueue/rest/migrating-from-restapi-v1

Following the link stating ‘Sign up for the Cloud Tasks Alpha’.

- Regarding the permission required to enable the Cloud Task API, this is currently locked as the beta is not released and is still in Alpha.

I have been able to reproduce this issue with a user account and a service account. I am able to use it with my internal email ending with @google.com but not with other domains. This behavior is expected as you would need to be whitelisted as described here below. You can follow the link provided in the warning box to be whitelisted(it is the same form to opt-in the Cloud Tasks Alpha as mentioned above):

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go/taskqueue/rest/migrating-from-restapi-v1

Malte Meister

Sep 7, 2018, 5:36:35 AM9/7/18
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the information - much appreciated!

Malte Meister

Sep 28, 2018, 3:50:26 AM9/28/18
to Google App Engine
For anyone who is interested, it looks like Cloud Tasks has officially gone into beta now.