Traffic hitting deleted Google App Engine versions

Richard Garbutt

Jul 26, 2022, 12:46:20 PM7/26/22
to Google App Engine
Hi All,

We're seeing some very strange behaviour with error reporting showing traffic sporadically hitting a deleted version of the application. It seems like around 25% of requests hit this incorrect, phantom instance.

To be specific we are running a rails application and we are seeing errors consistent with a previous version of `schema.rb` being loaded by the application.

We build and deploy fresh docker containers for each deployment using cloudbuild.

This project only has one service with one version and two instances. The last deployment was five days ago and we are still seeing errors.

Has anyone encountered something similar? This really seems like an issue with App Engine routing to stale instances.

Regards,

Richard Garbutt

Osvaldo Lopez Acuña

Jul 26, 2022, 7:02:01 PM7/26/22
to Google App Engine

You could report this issue here[1]. You could also make sure you deleted those versions[2]. Take a look at this post[3] where it is explained how to clean up an App Engine project.

[1]:https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/new?component=187191

[2]:https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/versions/delete

[3]:https://medium.com/google-cloud/app-engine-project-cleanup-9647296e796a

Richard Garbutt

Jul 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PM7/28/22
to Google App Engine
To be clear:

> This project only has one service with one version and two instances

The problem is traffic hitting versions that have been deleted

We are migrating away from App Engine due to this issue.