Standard design/practice for Chat windows on GAE.

Sumanta Bhowmik

Nov 28, 2017, 8:57:52 AM11/28/17
to Google App Engine
I have my application on standard app engine (python). I want to provide a facility where from my landing page any user can have a live chat with me. They do not need to login to any messenger etc. Is there some standard way people implement this on app engine?

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 28, 2017, 11:54:56 AM11/28/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sumanta,

The XMPP API, that would come quite handy in your case, has been shut down at the end of October, as documented on the "XMPP API Shutdown" page. There are alternatives recommended on the "Alternatives to XMPP API" page.

After the XMPP API is turned off, you can obtain similar functionality by using any of a variety of 3rd party XMPP libraries in a language of your choice in an XMPP server running on a Compute Engine instance. For details on how to do this, take a look at the sample chat server Wikibot at GitHub.

Another example to examine, before implementing your live chat facility, is given on the "Multi-User Chat (MUC) Bot" page, and you may easily find a few other examples.

This group is meant for expressing general opinions, discussing trends and touching issues of general nature touching the app engine. In what concerns coding and programming details, it may be more effective to consult stackoverflow, where experienced programmers are within reach and ready to help.

Barry Hunter

Nov 28, 2017, 12:06:06 PM11/28/17
to google-appengine
Of course there is always Firebase https://firebase.google.com/

Its generally pretty easy to create a chat app with Firebase. (if reasonably proficient with Javascript)

Much easier than messing around with XMPP directly.