Upgraded from 1.9.69 to 1.9.80 and application size increased 3 times

DFB

May 30, 2020, 2:06:25 PM5/30/20
to Google App Engine
Today I updated Google App Engine (Java) from v1.9.69 to v1.9.80. After updated when I uploaded my app to the app engine, the app size changed from 17 MB to 52 MB.

Is there a reason for this threefold size increase? Should I be concerned? Is there something I can do to reduce the size close to what it was?

DFB

May 30, 2020, 2:33:01 PM5/30/20
to Google App Engine
Correction: I was on GAE Java v1.9.63 before the upgrade.

I'm using App Engine Maven Plugin. I was on v1.3.2.

I performed 'mvn clean', and this time the size reduced to 31.6 MB (still about 1.8 times the original)
.
I've since upgraded to the plugin v2.2.0 (latest as of now), and still the app size is 31.6 MB.

Curious to know what caused the bump from ~17 MB to ~32 MB without any code or other configuration changes to the project.

DFB

May 30, 2020, 11:55:20 PM5/30/20
to Google App Engine
I did some more investigation. The size of the SNAPSHOT war actually shrunk by about 1 MB after the upgrade, but the app size shown on GAE dashboard grew significantly. In fact, the appengine-api-1.0-sdk-1.9.80.jar is about 1 MB smaller than appengine-api-1.0-sdk-1.9.63.jar.

I downgraded back to 1.9.63 and the app size on the dashboard went back to just 14.9 MB. So the actual increase is more like 2.1x (~31.6 MB compared to ~14.9 MB).

I'll appreciate if someone can explain the reason for this bloat. I'll stick to the older version for now until I understand what's going on with the size increase.

Olu

Jun 1, 2020, 1:28:23 PM6/1/20
to Google App Engine
I understand your question is regarding the size discrepancy in your application deployments on App Engine (GAE). There are a number of reasons which may contribute to the different sizes, particularly in the past, the size difference in the builds for the same Java application code has been seen to relate to different implementations of the functions (i.e. deploy) and the tools in each SDK and the plugins. Hence, to understand better the cause may require reviewing the differences between the plugins used and the App Engine SDK versions, and how the changes may have applied to your application.

For more specific information about your applications and why the Application sizes differed, I recommend that you contact the GCP Support engineers[1][2] so that the specific App Engine versions can be evaluated to determine exactly and obtain more specific information about the cause.