Clarification of Term 4.4

TAN KH

Mar 2, 2009, 6:55:52 PM3/2/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
4.4. You may not develop multiple Applications to simulate or act as a
single Application or otherwise access the Service in a manner intended
to avoid incurring fees.

Clarification

I am currently developing my app to operate on 1 application instance
per company/organisation. These application instances can have
content/xml messages that flows in/out between them.
Is this considered to be in violation of the above terms ?

This would also mean that a large number of organisations
equates to a large number of applications. Is this also considered a
violation when I manage multiple application instances thru'
multiple gmail accounts since there is a 10 application limit ?

Appreciate the clarification.

Jason

Mar 11, 2009, 9:54:15 PM3/11/09
to Google App Engine
Yes, using multiple app_ids like this is against the TOS. We are
building infrastructure to support your use case, however, so that you
do not need to use multiple application IDs. In the meantime, we are
happy to consider exceptions on a case-by-base basis. You can file
your request using the form at:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=AppEngineMultiInstanceExceptionRequest

If you want more details, there are basically two ways of deploying a
single application to multiple domains:

1. Use a single app_id and build namespacing API hooks for your calls
to memcache and the datastore. If you want to use the users API with
this solution, you'll have to stick with ordinary Google Accounts, not
Google Apps Accounts. For more on API hooks, see
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/hooks.html

2. Use multiple app identifiers and bind each to a separate domain.
This solution allows for use of the users API with Google Apps
Accounts.

To support option 2, we will consider making exceptions to our terms
when it is clear that multiple identifiers are being used to deploy an
app to multiple different customers. That is, each application ID must
restrict authentication to a different Google Apps domain, and any
significant functionality (beyond splash pages, login pages, etc) must
be available only to members of these domains. To apply for an
exception, use the form linked above.

Cheers!
- Jason

Arun Prasad

Mar 12, 2009, 2:58:09 AM3/12/09
to Google App Engine
Hi Jason,

We are deploying multiple application under the same domain, but the
function of all the applications are different like, one for the HR
management another one a twitter like application. We are eventually
planning to sell these applications individually. Does this violate
the TOS as they are different application served under the same Google
Apps Domain?

Thanks,
Arun Shanker Prasad.

On Mar 12, 6:54 am, Jason <apija...@google.com> wrote:
> Yes, using multiple app_ids like this is against the TOS. We are
> building infrastructure to support your use case, however, so that you
> do not need to use multiple application IDs. In the meantime, we are
> happy to consider exceptions on a case-by-base basis. You can file
> your request using the form at:
>
> http://code.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=AppEngineM...
>
> If you want more details, there are basically two ways of deploying a
> single application to multiple domains:
>
> 1. Use a single app_id and build namespacing API hooks for your calls
> to memcache and the datastore.  If you want to use the users API with
> this solution, you'll have to stick with ordinary Google Accounts, not
> Google Apps Accounts. For more on API hooks, seehttp://code.google.com/appengine/articles/hooks.html
Message has been deleted