Run Map Reduce on non-default versions?

Ranjit Chacko

Mar 1, 2013, 10:48:35 AM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

I have a couple of questions about the App Engine Map Reduce API. First of all there's a mapreduce package in the SDK, and there's a separate mapreduce bundle here:

https://developers.google.com/appengine/downloads

Which one should I be using? Should I be using the bundle, or is the documentation out of date and I should actually use the SDK version?

Second I'd like to be able to run mapreduce's on a non-default version to make sure that the requests from the mapreduce don't interfere with user requests.

What's the best way to do this? Can I start the pipeline with a task queue, and set the target version of that queue to be my non-default version?

Jim Morrison

Mar 1, 2013, 12:48:11 PM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
As long as you start the mapreduce on a non-default version it will
continue to run in the non-default version. I also run my mapreduces
through a separate taskqueue. One advantage of using the separate
mapreduce bundle is that you can put in your own changes. E.g. I
pickle the mapper key value pairs so that I can send full objects
between the mapper and reducer.
> --

Jim

Ranjit Chacko

Mar 1, 2013, 1:06:13 PM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Other than being able to customize the bundle, are there any other differences between it and the SDK version? What's the "official" way of using map reduces according to Google?

 So when you run your mapreduces in a separate queue do you pass in the queue_name to the pipeline.start() command, just like with the normal Pipeline API?

Jim Morrison

Mar 1, 2013, 4:50:18 PM3/1/13
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Ranjit Chacko <rjch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Other than being able to customize the bundle, are there any other
> differences between it and the SDK version? What's the "official" way of
> using map reduces according to Google?
>
> So when you run your mapreduces in a separate queue do you pass in the
> queue_name to the pipeline.start() command, just like with the normal
> Pipeline API?

Yes.