Creating this instance is permanently failing. Try redeploying the version to fix it.

Philippe David

Nov 7, 2015, 1:06:30 PM11/7/15
to Google App Engine
I tried to deploy a simple NodeJS (SailsJS) app with :

gcloud preview app deploy app.yaml --promote --project <project-name>

And I was horrified by the result. Now I have 20 GAE and 8 Compute Engine VM instance failing, eating away my free plan.

503 service unavailable for <project-name>.appspot.com.

The message saying "Creating this instance is permanently failing. Try redeploying the version to fix it." results in :

ERROR: (gcloud.compute.instances.create) Some requests did not succeed:

- Quota 'CPUS' exceeded.  Limit: 8.0

I really want to use this product as it would same me all the pain of setting up my own ENV. but its just unusable right now and cost me 20-30$ just to see everything fail. Good thing im on a free plan.

See attached image for details.

If I click on a red instance = "Not found" -> Delete -> nothing happens.

If I click on a loading instance = Can't Delete / Stop

Should I delete the project and start over ? Should I try to delete every instances and retry ? What should I do ?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 12.53.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 12.59.17 PM.png

Adam

Nov 7, 2015, 5:36:51 PM11/7/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Philippe,

If you want to get rid of any previous versions of your app you should go to Compute > App Engine > Versions in the Developers Console and delete them from there. This should stop any Compute VMs from respawning. The red exclamation points next to instances indicate they are unhealthy (likely due to the VMs being missing). They will eventually clear themselves from the console, but unless you delete the version first the health check will keep trying to respawn the VM instances.

Cheers,
Adam

Philippe David

Nov 8, 2015, 2:01:35 PM11/8/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Adams,

I cannot delete the default version. Pushing a new version will just pump the number of GAE vm & CE vm running / restarting / failing.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 1.58.31 PM.png
Message has been deleted

Adam

Nov 11, 2015, 5:02:25 PM11/11/15
to Google App Engine
Yes, you can only delete previous versions, never the default version. Using the --promote flag will always deploy a new version and mark it as default. You should deploy once, then remove the old version from the versions list. If you try re-deploying with --promote and none of the versions are good, you will just end up with a list of failing instances.

If after pushing the new version you see all instances failing this is a good indication that something bad is being pushed. You could try deleting the entire project as a troubleshooting step and deploying to a new project. If the issue is that any version you push is bad, you may want to look into troubleshooting what is being pushed. For this type of question I'd recommend starting a new post on StackOverflow if you need to post details.

Cheers,
Adam