Prerelease SDK 1.3.6 is out!

Ikai L (Google)

Aug 2, 2010, 7:40:48 PM8/2/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the prerelease SDK for 1.3.6 is out. If you're interested in downloading the SDKs, you can find them here:

Not all features that work locally in the new version are guaranteed to work in a deployed application, as these may depend on us pushing new versions of backend services. We welcome your feedback, as it helps us greatly in finding issues with the release as early as possible.

Release notes are below:

 Python
 =================================
 - Multitenancy is now supported in the datastore, allowing better
   compartmentalization of user data.
 - Automatic image thumbnailing is now available in the Images API using
   get_url_base().
 - Users can now serve custom static error pages for over_quota, dos_api_denial
   and default cases.
 - Results of datastore count() queries and offsets for all datastore queries
   are no longer capped at 1000.
 - Added a pause queue button to the task queue details page in the Admin
   Console.
 - Historical graphs have been added to all of the dashboard graphs in the Admin
   Console.
 - Content-range headers are supported on Blobstore downloads.
 - Remote API now supports the Blobstore API.
 - New method to allocate datastore ids in a given range: db.allocate_id_range().
 - New db method is_in_transaction() determines if a transaction is still open.
 - Increased several rate limited quotas for free applications.
 - Fixed an issue in db.py where unindexed property lists for user-specified
   property names were ignored.
 - Fixed an issue where the task queue uses local time instead of UTC time to
   compute job ETA.
 - Fixed an issue in the SDK with datastore cursors being too large.

 Java
 =============
 - Multitenancy is now supported in the datastore, allowing better
   compartmentalization of user data.
 - Automatic image thumbnailing is now available in the Images API using
   GetUrlBase.
 - Users can now serve custom static error pages for over_quota, dos_api_denial
   and default cases.
 - Results of datastore count() queries and offsets for all datastore queries
   are no longer capped at 1000.
 - Added a pause queue button to the task queue details page in the Admin
   Console.
 - Historical graphs have been added to all of the dashboard graphs in the Admin
   Console.
 - Content-range headers are supported on Blobstore downloads.
 - New method to allocate datastore ids in a given range: allocateIdRange()
 - The app.yaml format is supported with Java applications.
 - Increased several rate limited quotas for free applications.
 - Fixed an issue that did not allow forms of over 200,000 bytes to be submitted.

Happy building!

--
Ikai Lan

Jody Belka

Jaroslav Záruba

Aug 2, 2010, 7:45:12 PM8/2/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We love you! :P

Jeff Schwartz

Aug 2, 2010, 8:31:32 PM8/2/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Very cool and thank you, AppEngine team, for all your hard work and dedication.

2010/8/2 Jaroslav Záruba <jarosla...@gmail.com>

Jeff

ekampf

Aug 2, 2010, 8:39:09 PM8/2/10
to Google App Engine
Release notes dont really help us test these new features or prepare
for the official release...

- Automatic image thumbnailing is now available in the Images API
using get_url_base().

Whats get_url_base() ? Cant find any mention of it in the code...
Do you mean get_serving_url(blob_key, size=None, crop=False) ?

- Users can now serve custom static error pages for over_quota,
dos_api_denial and default cases.

How?

- Multitenancy is now supported in the datastore, allowing better
compartmentalization of user data.

What does this mean for us app devs?

hawkett

Aug 3, 2010, 6:09:15 AM8/3/10
to Google App Engine
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for this release - it looks very much like a
solution to this issue I raised around 18 months ago -
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=945. I'll
have to get into it further and have a look, but sounds really
promising. For others, Laurent Descrivan has commented on this issue
with some details about how it works.

I was wondering if this is a deeper implementation than db hooks,
or uses that mechanism behind the API? Either way, having the
standardised API is much better than lots of dev custom
implementations - thanks again,

Colin

Zarko

Aug 3, 2010, 4:07:52 PM8/3/10
to Google App Engine
AppEngine team, we love you !

On Aug 3, 2:40 am, "Ikai L (Google)" <ika...@google.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know that the prerelease SDK for 1.3.6 is out.
> If you're interested in downloading the SDKs, you can find them here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/downloads/list
>
> Not all features that work locally in the new version are guaranteed to work
> in a deployed application, as these may depend on us pushing new versions of
> backend services. We welcome your feedback, as it helps us greatly in
> finding issues with the release as early as possible.
>
> Release notes are below:
>
>  Python
>  =================================
>  -Multitenancy is now supported in the datastore, allowing better

Albert

Aug 4, 2010, 1:49:58 AM8/4/10
to Google App Engine
Thank you!!!! :D

Ikai L (Google)

Aug 4, 2010, 3:06:21 PM8/4/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
One more thing: it will be a billing-enabled feature only.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Ikai L (Google) <ika...@google.com> wrote:
Just a heads up that get_url_base is now get_serving_url() (Python) and getServingUrl() (Java). This is a feature that allows you to generate a URL for images stored in the blobstore so you shouldn't have to write your own handlers for the blob data.

Thank you!!!! :D

Ikai Lan

Ikai L (Google)

Aug 4, 2010, 3:06:04 PM8/4/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Just a heads up that get_url_base is now get_serving_url() (Python) and getServingUrl() (Java). This is a feature that allows you to generate a URL for images stored in the blobstore so you shouldn't have to write your own handlers for the blob data.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Albert <alber...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you!!!! :D

George Moschovitis

Aug 5, 2010, 11:06:17 AM8/5/10
to Google App Engine
>  - Multitenancy is now supported in the datastore, allowing better
>    compartmentalization of user data.

Amazing! any info about how this might work?

-g.

Pims

Aug 5, 2010, 8:18:08 AM8/5/10
to Google App Engine
Great and thanks :)

Ikai L (Google)

Aug 5, 2010, 1:41:07 PM8/5/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi George, here's a sample app that uses namespaces:

kgena

Aug 11, 2010, 1:53:59 PM8/11/10
to Google App Engine
While trying to use the ImagesService.getUrlBase() on the local GAE it
returns the following URL http://0.0.0.0:8888/_ah/XXXXXX.
I am not sure where the 0.0.0.0 comes from.

Do I have to set IP of the GAE in order for this feature to work
properly?
Thanks.