Auto scaling to basic scaling migrate

Nikhil Patil

May 6, 2022, 3:36:23 AMMay 6
to Google App Engine
I was using autoscaling but it has 10 min request timeout,so I want to change it to basic scaling.
Does changing app.yaml will do the thing? or I need more settings.
runtime: python39 service: dev-app instance_class: B1 basic_scaling: max_instances: 10 idle_timeout: 10m
I am getting error as
The request failed because the instance could not start successfullyProcess terminated because it failed to respond to the start request with an HTTP status code of 200-299 or 404.

Ernesto Contreras Pinon

May 6, 2022, 4:49:29 PMMay 6
to Google App Engine

Yes, using the app.yaml file, you can set the type of scaling that is used by your App Engine app. You can specifically see the reference on how the scaling elements are to be syntactically added in your app.yaml file. Since this file contains the specifications for the deployment of your app, it would be the proper place to change the settings.

Have you recently encountered this issue? There is currently an existing incident that is affecting multiple Google Cloud products which could be related to the errors you are seeing.

Nikhil Patil

May 12, 2022, 11:46:30 PMMay 12
to Google App Engine
Any update on this?
Message has been deleted

Osvaldo Lopez Acuña

May 13, 2022, 7:12:47 PMMay 13
to Google App Engine

Were you able to change your App Engine settings the way Ernesto suggested?

The issue ended on May 6, as you can see in the shared link, and App Engine was not affected.

Nikhil Patil

May 17, 2022, 3:55:19 AMMay 17
to Google App Engine
To update you I managed to get the root cause. Django settings.py has  SECURE_SSL_REDIRECT configuration. If I enable it(I must), I get above issue,if I disable then the instance starts successfully. Do you have any idea?

Jose Lorea Sanchez

May 18, 2022, 6:30:03 PMMay 18
to Google App Engine
Here is a post from “StackOverflow” that has similar characteristics. The user configures SECURE_SSL_REDIRECT and his App Engine has presented similar issues. The answer suggests adding a secure parameter to the app.yaml file. Could you try this?

handlers:
- url: /*
  script: anyfile.py
  secure: always