Help a Noob create an endpoints project in eclipse

Jim Craft

Mar 18, 2016, 5:07:00 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine
I am very new to the world of GAE (and similar).  I have worked through the examples provided under the Documentation links whereby we generate the projects with Maven.  That's all fine and dandy until Maven won't make the project (that will be another thread perhaps).  I am using the Google Plugin for Eclipse Luna (4.4) and I have read the associated documentation.  However, I can't find a tutorial/how-to that shows me how to create an endpoint backend project without first creating an Android application project.  I would like to just create the endpoint backend project in Eclipse then worry about the Web/Android/iOS app.  Any help/pointers/etc. would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Jim
PS: I'm reasonably comfortable with Eclipse and Java SE but this realm is all very new to me.

Cesar Alvarado Peragallo

Mar 18, 2016, 5:33:11 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine

Hi Jim

PS : I build EndPoint with Golang instead Java ..

Jim Craft

Mar 18, 2016, 5:48:27 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine
Hi Cesar,

Thanks!

Jim

Zeehad (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 18, 2016, 5:53:38 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine
Hello Jim,

It seems like this tutorial is what you may be looking for.

Cheers!

Jim Craft

Mar 18, 2016, 6:01:23 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine
Hi Zeehad,

Thanks ... I have been through that tutorial.  It does not, however, explain how I might do the same thing from within Eclipse.

Cheers!

Jim Craft

Mar 18, 2016, 7:26:09 PM3/18/16
to Google App Engine
So I have an endpoint project created in Eclipse.  I have the Google App Engine server created (localhost:8888), and it is Stopped.  When I go to my project and right-click and drop down to "Run As ..." I would expect to see "Run on Server".  That is not there, however, so I choose "Run Configurations...".  The selection provided is "Web Application -> HelloWorld".  I see a Google tab and an App Engine tab.  The Google tab has "Embedded Server: Run built-in server (which is checked), and Port 8888".  The App Engine tab has my Application Settings, Application ID: helloworld, Version: 1, and other HRD settings.  When I click on Run I get in the Console a "Usage: <dev-appserver> [options] <app directory> and that is followed by the Options list.  I've tried various different settings/adjustments/configs to no avail.  Hopefully someone has suffered like I and knows the answer!

Thanks Again!

Jim

Zeehad (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 22, 2016, 4:11:53 PM3/22/16
to Google App Engine
You can import the application as 'existing maven project' and then select Run As -> Run Configurations -> Maven Build -> DevAppServer / UpdateApplication