Yahoo denying access to "pipes" rss feed from Google App Engine urlfetch

Bernard Maltais

Aug 24, 2009, 12:48:14 PM8/24/09
to Google App Engine
My Google App Engine that fetch rss data from yahoo pipes (example:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=11f0a5c9fefd8add01e7759faafcb8f7&_render=rss)
are getting rejected by Yahoo with the following error:

"Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.
Yahoo!

Unfortunately we are unable to process your request at this time. This
error is usually temporary. Please try again later.

If you continue to experience this error, it may be caused by one of
the following:

* You may want to scan your system for spyware and viruses, as
they may interfere with your ability to connect to Yahoo!. For
detailed information on spyware and virus protection, please visit the
Yahoo! Security Center.
* This problem may be due to unusual network activity coming from
your Internet Service Provider. We recommend that you report this
problem to them.

While this error is usually temporary, if it continues and the above
solutions don't resolve your problem, please let us know. "

Could this be that Yahoo is now treating GAE as a suspicious ISP? Or
is it due to some other problems with urlfetch?

Brandon N. Wirtz

Aug 25, 2009, 1:08:14 PM8/25/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You may need to create a proxy on some other domain. Yahoo gets flooded
with request from AppEngine Ips. As a result there are many times a day you
will get the "your IP has been blocked" (they say it nicer) error.

You will see the same thing from some of google's own APIs

You can solve this by using an off site proxy, just a php page that does
Curl URL, Echo Buffer will work.

-Brandon

Bernard Maltais

Aug 26, 2009, 2:12:01 PM8/26/09
to Google App Engine
Thank you for the reply. I was affraid of this. The thing is that I
am relying on GAE to fetch and parse Pipes feeds and then publish on
twitter when required... I guess I will have to drop GAE as a
platform and find one that give me more reliable urlfetches... but
hey, when it is free what can you complain about!

Brandon N. Wirtz

Aug 26, 2009, 3:59:38 PM8/26/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You don't need to do that... Just use cheap hosting some where out in
cyberspace to act as a proxy for you.

As I said before if you have a php Script on another site you can just have
it do the Fetch and output it... that way you aren't coming from a google
address range.

Aug 27, 2009, 7:30:23 AM8/27/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernard,

We're in contact with engineers at Yahoo!, and are working on resolving this issue.

-Nick Johnson
--
Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine

Bernard Maltais

Aug 27, 2009, 7:45:50 AM8/27/09
to Google App Engine
This is really good news. I would really have been sorry to move away
from such a great platform. I enjoyed learning python through my GAE
development effort. Without GAE I would probably not have discovered
Python for a while. I had eared how great of a language it was but
was always comfortable with PHP... so.

Looking forward for the resolution. The urlfetch problem is mostly
present during business hours week-days.

On Aug 27, 7:30 am, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>

buger

Oct 19, 2009, 7:06:09 PM10/19/09
to Google App Engine
How it's going? Still getting this error..

On 27 авг, 15:30, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
> We're in contact with engineers at Yahoo!, and are working on resolving this
> issue.
>
> -Nick Johnson

Jean-Lou Dupont

Oct 19, 2009, 7:18:05 PM10/19/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried in a while.  I guess I must have found a workaround.

--
http://www.jldupont.com/
http://jldupont.blogspot.com/