Scheduled maintenance & read-only "downtime"

Wesley C (Google)

Apr 5, 2011, 8:55:43 PM4/5/11
to Google App Engine
NOTICE: users of the high replication (HR) datastore users are
unaffected and do not have maintenance, read-only, nor "downtime"
periods so you can effectively disregard this post.

From time-to-time, we have to perform scheduled maintenance on App
Engine systems. During these times, the datastore will be placed into
read-only mode and memcache will be flushed. It is recommended that
critical portions of your application that depend on the datastore
should make use of the Capabilities API to detect and recover
gracefully during read-only periods.

Documentation describing the capabilities API can be found here:

Python: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/howto/maintenance.html
Java: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/howto/maintenance.html

As mentioned at the top of this message, there will be no downtime for
developers whose applications use the HR datastore. You can read more
about this service here:

http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2011/01/announcing-high-replication-datastore.html

Developers can add/view the scheduled maintenance calendar using this
link (look for the "+" in the lower-hand corner to add the calendar):

https://www.google.com/calendar/b/0/embed?src=4chlpo92ci2f5...@group.calendar.google.com

Developers can also subscribe to the same scheduled maintenance
Google Calendar using this address:

4chlpo92ci2f5...@group.calendar.google.com

Most importantly, sign up to receive notices from the App Engine
Downtime Notify Group as to these maintenance periods!!

https://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-downtime-notify

Best regards,
-The Google App Engine team
Message has been deleted

Roland Quast

Jul 14, 2011, 9:21:34 PM7/14/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We are missing all blob data after this came back online! We have no images, css or any binary data stored in the datastore.

Robert Schuppenies

Jul 15, 2011, 2:27:52 PM7/15/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roland.