Cron job fails without giving additional information

Raghuram Devarakonda

Aug 19, 2009, 10:40:08 AM8/19/09
to Google App Engine

I am trying to get the following cron jobs work with my (Python) app.

-----
cron:
url: /email_alerts
schedule: every wednesday 03:00

url: /email_alerts
schedule: every friday 03:00
-----

I verified that '/email_alerts' works as expected from the browser.
How ever, the Admin console shows the job as "Failed". I haven't seen
any errors listed in the "Logs" section around this time so I am
guessing that perhaps, the error, if any, occurred before fetching the
URL. Is there any way I can find more information about the failure?

Thanks,
Raghu

vp

Aug 19, 2009, 1:01:38 PM8/19/09
to Google App Engine
You need to look at the logs. Try looking at the request logs to see
if the request really went through. In case you are processing too
much data, that request log might have got purged by now.

Raghuram Devarakonda

Aug 19, 2009, 2:11:17 PM8/19/09
to Google App Engine
I checked request logs and I do see entry for the URL '/email_alerts'
around the time the cron job executed. So I need to amend my earlier
statement about URL not being fetched. How ever, the logs do not show
any error in processing the URL so I am still puzzled as to why cron
reports the job as "Failed".

Brandon N. Wirtz

Aug 19, 2009, 2:32:32 PM8/19/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
We have built an app that allows a web site to move portions of their web
site to Google AppEngine, with minimal configuration on their part.

This is great for WordPress, and Movable type users who would like to move
their images off site, but don't want to mess with their CMS. Think of it
like s3 for image hosting "light", or Akamai site proxying made cheap.

My Question is, should each user of our app software have their own account
for the deployment, or should we have multiple accounts we use to set up
their accounts, or should we have one account and request more accounts
every time we reach our App Quota?

The latter would be the easiest for us as we wouldn't have to log in and out
to upgrade or monitor our clients health, but if we sell as many copies as
it looks like we are going to, I didn't want to pick a method that would not
be the one Google wanted us to use.

Thanks in advance.

vp

Aug 19, 2009, 2:58:15 PM8/19/09
to Google App Engine
Maybe it is a deadline exceeded error. Did you set your app to catch
that error?

Raghuram Devarakonda

Aug 19, 2009, 3:06:54 PM8/19/09
to Google App Engine

On Aug 19, 2:32 pm, "Brandon N. Wirtz" <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
> We have built an app that allows a web site to move portions of their web
> site to Google AppEngine, with minimal configuration on their part.

Please post in a separate thread as this is not related to current
discussion.

Raghuram Devarakonda

Aug 19, 2009, 3:12:18 PM8/19/09
to Google App Engine

On Aug 19, 2:58 pm, vp <vivpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe it is a deadline exceeded error. Did you set your app to catch
> that error?

I don't catch this error and it is very unlikely to have happened even
though it can not be ruled out. If it indeed occurred, wouldn't the
error show up in the logs?

Nick Johnson (Google)

Aug 21, 2009, 6:41:16 AM8/21/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

You have a couple of options here. You can build your app to support multiple domains from a single App Engine instance, by checking the Host header, in which case your users only need to add your app to their Google Apps domain, a straightforward process. You can also create an app for each customer, then add them as administrators of the app (if appropriate). If you want to go with the option of creating an app per customer, please contact me offline and we can discuss the best way to go about this.

-Nick Johnson
--
Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine

ttk

Sep 14, 2009, 9:44:51 PM9/14/09
to Google App Engine
@Raghuram you ever find a solution to the original subject?