The Future of Java and Python on GAE

Rafael Dipold

Jul 16, 2015, 1:23:50 PM7/16/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Joshua Smith

Jul 16, 2015, 2:22:02 PM7/16/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That sounds wonderful. Especially compared to the alternative of forcing us to update to a new language version, which is what GAE has historically done. I’d love to be left behind on a fork that they stop messing with. That would be awesome! (As long as they don’t deprecate it. That would suck.)

pdknsk

Jul 16, 2015, 3:09:40 PM7/16/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If this is where App Engine is going, I hope Managed VMs deployment time is reduced significantly.

PK

Jul 16, 2015, 6:25:09 PM7/16/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If I understand correctly Java 8 is backwards compatible to java 7 while python 3 is not compatible to python 2. I estimated the work involved and do not plan to upgrade my python app to python 3 in the foreseeable future. So it is a bit different...

On Jul 16, 2015, at 12:09 PM, pdknsk <pdk...@gmail.com> wrote:

If this is where App Engine is going, I hope Managed VMs deployment time is reduced significantly.

Jeff Schnitzer

Jul 17, 2015, 1:52:46 AM7/17/15
to Google App Engine
Article says nothing that hasn't been said in this forum countless times already. Clickbait title with zero interesting content. Boring.

Jeff

Rafael Dipold

Jul 17, 2015, 9:57:09 AM7/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, je...@infohazard.org
Sorry if I bored you Jeff, but not everyone has close ties with Google like you to know what future directions of this tool.

I follow the forum since 2011 and I have not seen this issue be discussed "countless times already" as you said.

There is an environment of uncertainty, because version 1.9 has been going on since feb/14 and there are only rumors about what comes next.

Jeff Schnitzer

Jul 17, 2015, 12:09:56 PM7/17/15
to Rafael Dipold, Google App Engine
You don't need special access. Just search this forum for posts from lu...@google.com. He's the team lead for App Engine runtimes (as he has mentioned publicly in his posts).

Jeff

Jeff Schnitzer

Jul 17, 2015, 12:23:16 PM7/17/15
to Rafael Dipold, Google App Engine
Ok, I owe you some honest criticism. You promised me "The Future of Java and Python on GAE" and you basically gave me this: "In other words, Google might upgrade App Engine to support the latest versions of Java and Python, Java 8, and Python 3. But it also might not."

You could have shortened the whole article to: "Google is working on a new version of GAE based on Managed VMs (compute engine instances). This new version supports new languages and platforms. Google hasn't decided whether to make make Java8 or Python3 available on the old version of GAE."

If you wanted to be insightful, you could have added some information about how hard it is to migrate our apps to the new version, or what shortfalls exist in the new version, etc.

You overpromised and underdelivered. Felt like I clicked on the tech version of one of those Taboola ads, and it annoyed me.

Jeff

Brandon Thomson

Jul 18, 2015, 3:59:52 AM7/18/15
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 2:22:02 PM UTC-4, Joshua Smith wrote:
That sounds wonderful. Especially compared to the alternative of forcing us to update to a new language version, which is what GAE has historically done. I’d love to be left behind on a fork that they stop messing with. That would be awesome! (As long as they don’t deprecate it. That would suck.)

Could not agree more. Language is fine, now to do the hard work of building your app!

Tapir

Jul 18, 2015, 4:03:39 AM7/18/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
 IMHO, App Engine should only keep one language, Golang. And remove other ones, or at least remove Java.