XMPP and flash

Backpack

Sep 7, 2009, 5:51:55 PM9/7/09
to Google App Engine
Any ideas on how to connect to XMPP using a flash socket?

In other words, just a command line where I can send messages to my
app via HTML, no need for chat, rooms, buddies, flex, widgets, etc,
just a textbox and a send button.

I already did it using Google Talk, so my app connects ok.

Something like:

xmpp = XMPPSocketConnect("talk.google.com",5222)
xmpp.send("hello server, or whatever goes here")

then using ExternalInterface.call attach flash events to javascript
events

If you got the idea, I'd appreciate all the help you can provide. If
not, ask and I'll try to make it clearer.

meaglith

Sep 8, 2009, 10:21:19 PM9/8/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
The XIFF library maybe...
You would check the svn version, it's still not support TLS connection.

Blog: http://blog.douhua.im
Twitter: http://twitter.com/genedna
Website: http://douhua.im
关注RIA,关注OpenSource。

Gijsbert

Sep 9, 2009, 9:28:42 AM9/9/09
to Google App Engine
If the gae xmpp implementation allows connection through BOSH
(Bidirectional-streams Over Synchronous HTTP) then you could do it
from javascript using Strophe (http://people.chesspark.com/~jack/
strophe-preview/doc/files/strophe-js.html).

But I can't find anywhere if app engine (or google talk for that
matter) support BOSH.

Scott Ellis

Sep 9, 2009, 9:33:05 AM9/9/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
BOSH would conflict rather harshly with the 30 sec request timeout.

Backpack

Sep 9, 2009, 11:30:57 AM9/9/09
to Google App Engine
I am more interested in something simpler than XIFF.
I don't need the overhead of rooms, vcards, etc, just a basic socket
connect, handshake, authenticate and messages back and forth.

I already have a basic websocket.swf interface wich easily connects to
any socket, but xmpp is another beast. It doesn't let me connect to
talk.google.com on port 5222. I guess TLS is a problem, also how about
the flash policy for socket connections?

Does Google Talk accepts flash connections at all?

If yes, how? any pointers?

Gijsbert

Sep 10, 2009, 10:56:46 AM9/10/09
to Google App Engine
I meant a BOSH interface to the xmpp server(s) that services the app
engine xmpp api, not to app engine itself (which indeed wouldn't
work).

Scott Ellis

Sep 10, 2009, 11:33:33 AM9/10/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If you can't do TLS in flash then I think you'll struggle trying to talk to jabber servers. I guess you could set up your own jabber server that doesn't require TLS as a proxy.

I would imagine that a java applet might be able to do the TLS etc required for gtalk auth, and you could hook the javascript up to that.

Backpack

Sep 10, 2009, 7:20:09 PM9/10/09
to Google App Engine
Thx Scott,

How about XMPP and WebSocket in HTML5 ?

Come on, we need to be able to use WebSockets since it is specially
designed for real-time client-server communication, and being XMPP the
protocol du jour I believe Google Talk should allow WebSocket
connections.

On Sep 10, 11:33 am, Scott Ellis <sje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you can't do TLS in flash then I think you'll struggle trying to talk to
> jabber servers. I guess you could set up your own jabber server that doesn't
> require TLS as a proxy.
>
> I would imagine that a java applet might be able to do the TLS etc required
> for gtalk auth, and you could hook the javascript up to that.

CoolDude

Oct 7, 2009, 2:42:08 AM10/7/09
to Google App Engine
any update on this 'Backpack'? can the flash websocket connect to bosh?

PointBreak

Oct 7, 2009, 2:07:10 PM10/7/09
to Google App Engine
Still waiting...

I believe the XIFF guys are working on adding TLS to XIFF but don't
know of any success on connecting to GAE XMPP

No idea about BOSH and GAE

CoolDude

Oct 7, 2009, 9:16:46 PM10/7/09
to Google App Engine
but even though if added TLS feature. arent websocket required server
site code . i cannot see how it able to help with javascript xmpp
client

PointBreak

Oct 8, 2009, 11:30:07 AM10/8/09
to Google App Engine
Yeah, I guess GAE XMPP should allow flash socket connections with
policy files and stuff.

Dunno, we should ask them if they will implement it.