Unable to restrict an app engine application to a single Google Apps domain

Owen Prime

Mar 6, 2016, 11:48:47 PM3/6/16
to Google App Engine

I'm trying to follow the instructions below provided on https://support.google.com/a/answer/91077?hl=en to make my App Engine app only available to my organizations Google Apps Domain. You no longer seem to be able to do this from what I can tell. When you add the App ID via the admin console you don't get asked about the restriction, but rather get told "This feature has moved to the Google Developers Console. Check out the documentation for more details.". When you add the app in the developer console, you don't get to choose how it's restricted. Research keeps leading me to custom domains, but that's not what I'm after. I'm fine with the appspot address. Maybe the new roles & service accounts is what I'm looking for but I don't have my head around that.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Restrict your application's users and data to a single organization, for example. myapp.myorg.com
By default, when you create an application with Google App Engine, any pages that require authentication will prompt visitors to supply Google account credentials, such as a Gmail account. However, you may want to build an application that's only available to one organization, such as an internal job search tool. In this case, you can configure your application to prompt for account credentials from a specific existing Google Apps domain.
To create a Google Apps account for your domain, visit www.google.com/a.
To restrict your application’s users and data to a single organization:
  1. On the initial create application page, under the Open to all Google Accounts text, click Edit.
  2. Select Restricted to the following Google Apps domain:.
  3. In the Google Apps domain field, type in your domain name.
  4. Click Save.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Mar 8, 2016, 1:47:53 PM3/8/16
to Google App Engine
From what I understand, you are looking to restrict access to your App Engine application to users under a particular Google Apps Domain. If this is correct, you can achieve this doing the following:
  • Go to your App Engine settings
  • Click Edit
  • Select Google Apps domain under Google authentication
  • Enter the Apps domain in the text box immediately below and Save
This can also be found under Authentication options. Depending on the authentication you require for each handler, users may now be required to sign in to their Apps domain account.

I hope this helps!