Can I run an AppEngine app with mixed Java and Go runtimes?

Ronoaldo Pereira

May 1, 2014, 2:32:59 PM5/1/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm porting the front-end handlers of a large Java app to Go. However, I'm not able to run the Java and Go runtimes in paralell in the development server, to share the same datastore backend.

Is there a way to acomplish that? I'm asking here because I noticed some Java code to launch instances from devappserver2 module in the Python SDK. I tought that it may be possible to run both a Java module and a Go module with that service, if I was using the Java Yaml configuration.

Kind regards,

Tom

May 2, 2014, 4:07:57 PM5/2/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
yes, a project can encompass multiple runtimes, but naturally you can't have code from multiple runtimes in the same instance, so you could potentially end up with higher costs (it won't be as efficient at scaling) and I'm not surprised to hear that there are issues with running multiple runtimes simultaneously on the dev server.

Vinny P

May 3, 2014, 1:21:42 AM5/3/14
On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Ronoaldo Pereira <rono...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm porting the front-end handlers of a large Java app to Go. However, I'm not able to run the Java and Go runtimes in paralell in the development server, to share the same datastore backend.

Is there a way to acomplish that? I'm asking here because I noticed some Java code to launch instances from devappserver2 module in the Python SDK. I tought that it may be possible to run both a Java module and a Go module with that service, if I was using the Java Yaml configuration.

Yes you can, but you have to upload the Java and Go versions separately as different versions within the same application ID. Then you can use App Engine services (task queue, datastore, etc) to communicate between each version.

-----------------
-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

yngling

May 5, 2014, 12:47:00 PM5/5/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have three Go modules and a Java module (for payment through Braintree, using a library of theirs). I plan on porting the Java module to Go, but it works fine as is. The only downside is that I have the modules communicate through urlfetch, so it's a bit slow, but works fine.

/Alexander

Diego Duclos

May 3, 2014, 4:53:12 AM5/3/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't having a module in java and the other in go be a much better option then hacking this with versions ? This really isn't the intended usage of versions