Can we create a billing account without turning on the free $300/90 days credit?

NP

Sep 14, 2020, 2:35:53 PM9/14/20
to Google App Engine
Hello,

GAE no longer allows deployment to production using app cfg. They insist you must use "gcloud deploy".

However, when you try to use "gcloud deploy", it insists you must enable a billing account and enabling this automatically turns on the 'free' $300 credit which expires in 90 days or so.

Given that I'm still in early stages of development (only deploying to production to make sure everything works), I do not wish to waste the 90 days/free $300 credit.

So my questions are

1) Is it possible to create a new billing account without turning on the free $300/90 days credit?

2) Is there still a way to use appcfg.py to deploy your app (which means I don't need the answer to question 1)?

wesley chun

Sep 14, 2020, 5:55:30 PM9/14/20
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello. You're correct that appcfg.py is going away. Try going to the cloud console, select your App Engine project from the top, then create a billing account there and see if you can do so w/o activting the Free Trial (which I agree with you on -- no one should activate it until they have enough regular use to take advantage of it, esp. since it expires in 3 mos). Once you've created a billing account using a credit card, you s/b able to use gcloud deploy successfully to deploy.

Can you also privately send me some terminal screenshots of gcloud deploy asking for a billing account, and if a new one is created, it automatically activates the Cloud Console?

Thank you,
--Wesley

"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun :: @wescpy :: Software Architect & Engineer
    Developer Advocate at Google Cloud by day; at night...
    Python training & consulting : http://CyberwebConsulting.com
    "Core Python" books : http://CorePython.com
    Python blog: http://wescpy.blogspot.com
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

NP

Sep 14, 2020, 9:19:29 PM9/14/20
to Google App Engine

How do I do this? I can only see 'reply all' link. 'Reply to Author' is disabled

NP

Sep 15, 2020, 7:21:59 PM9/15/20
to Google App Engine

Right now, it looks to me like it will activate it. I don't want to complete the step in case it does activate the free trial (since there's no way to turn it off). Is there any way to confirm if it will or will not activate the free trial?

David (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 16, 2020, 10:34:28 AM9/16/20
to Google App Engine

As per the free trial documentation, the free trial will start automatically when you set up your billing account so you must be prepared to use your free trial when doing this.

wesley chun

Sep 17, 2020, 2:33:54 PM9/17/20
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Also, track this SO question as some Googlers are active on it. And if you feel compelled to contact Cloud billing/support folks sooner than later, here are some links:

NP

Sep 18, 2020, 12:14:17 PM9/18/20
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the response.

I took a look at the SO question and it's not exactly the same thing.

Also as an FYI for anyone else who might come across this post - Google has confirmed that creating a billing account automatically turns on the $300 credit/90 day clock. It was confirmed by a Googler on this Post and from the Feature Request that I logged (it was set to 'Wont fix; Intended Behavior).

Manpreet Sidhu (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 18, 2020, 11:39:17 PM9/18/20
to Google App Engine
Thank you for sharing your findings. This will certainly help any other users who have a similar question.