PHISHING APP retwite

ds

Jan 23, 2010, 1:40:38 AM1/23/10
to Google App Engine
The app called Retwite is faking the twitter look and asking for
passwords

eg http://retwite.appspot.com/cnn

Wooble

Jan 23, 2010, 7:08:07 PM1/23/10
to Google App Engine

According to the project's github site, it's intended as a proxy of
the real twitter site, not a phishing site, but I have to agree it
looks suspicious.

nickmilon

Jan 24, 2010, 5:18:38 PM1/24/10
to Google App Engine
Copying the look and feel It is questionable paractice at least - I am
not sure if it complies to GAE and Twitter TOS.

Regards

Nick Milon

kaza

Jan 24, 2010, 3:45:29 PM1/24/10
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I would say its phishing, just look at the about page
http://retwite.appspot.com/about#about
and nowere on the page, especially not on the login page there is a
note that its not original twiter page
so its phishing i would say

Wooble

Jan 25, 2010, 9:08:38 AM1/25/10
to Google App Engine
True, but this is because it's just proxying the twitter site
completely; any URL you throw at it will load the corresponding
twitter page.

Note that I'm not saying that I think this is a good idea; it's quite
probably both a TOS violation and a copyright violation. However, if
the source on the github site is what they're actually running,
they're not phishing, they're just running a suspicious-looking proxy.

On Jan 24, 3:45 pm, kaza <kaza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would say its phishing, just look at the about pagehttp://retwite.appspot.com/about#about

ds

Jan 27, 2010, 12:03:41 AM1/27/10
to Google App Engine
Maybe it is useful for people in countries where Twitter is blocked.
If so, best tell people so they're not caught unawares.

nickmilon

Jan 27, 2010, 3:58:24 PM1/27/10
to Google App Engine
but ....
countries that use to block Twitter usually block google as well, so
it is useless.

Regards
Nick

Danny Tuppeny

Jan 28, 2010, 2:06:20 AM1/28/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I've seen quite a few posts from people in different countries complaining that *some* ghs IP addresses are blocked, and they often use their hosts files to hit one that isn't. So I suspect this will work for them. There are also non-countries that block twitter - companies that like to stop staff browsing the web.