Fastest way to store and retrieve dynamic data?

Nooby

Aug 9, 2014, 4:42:27 PM8/9/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If I have say two people on a website and they are both editing something, say for example a spreadsheet.

What is the best way to quickly store changed data so that both users get the latest data.

Is it the datastore? Is it the cloud SQL? Is it saving XML files? Which one is the quickest and most accurate?

(What would Google use for this, say for their online spreadsheet app? Also, is the browser continually requesting data from the server or is the server automatically sending updated information to the browser? BTW. I'm not making an online spreadsheet!)

Vinny P

Aug 10, 2014, 3:00:46 AM8/10/14
On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Nooby <pauland...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I have say two people on a website and they are both editing something
What is the best way to quickly store changed data so that both users get the latest data.
Is it the datastore?
(What would Google use for this, say for their online spreadsheet app?

Actually, we already know the code Google would use for such a design. Even better, it's open source: http://incubator.apache.org/wave/about.html . You can read the link for more details, but essentially Google Wave was an application for people to collaborate on documents simultaneously (as in your example). It ended up getting shuttered, then open-sourced, and now it's an Apache product.

Wave uses a NoSQL store as a backend, so the closest equivalent would be the Datastore.

-----------------
-Vinny P
Technology & Media Consultant
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

Nooby

Aug 10, 2014, 2:43:44 PM8/10/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I guess datastore is the way to go. Currently I was using php but that doesn't support datastore as yet only cloudSQL as I guess most php users care more about SQL. So I'll probably have to switch to Java.

Vinny P

Aug 10, 2014, 10:33:20 PM8/10/14
On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Nooby <pauland...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah I guess datastore is the way to go. Currently I was using php but that doesn't support datastore as yet only cloudSQL as I guess most php users care more about SQL. So I'll probably have to switch to Java.

I wouldn't switch to anything just yet. If I were you, I'd wait until Google Cloud Save rolls out into GA status (or you can ask for beta access) and try it out. It seems to me that Google is targeting the Cloud Save service to developers/applications like yours: small, incremental, continuous updates such as in games or interactivity services.