Node.js Standard Memcache Availability

Daniel Jimenez

Aug 7, 2018, 8:44:33 PM8/7/18
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I am wondering when the Memcache that Python, Java and Golang use in App Engine Standard might be available for use with Node.js.
I did read in this post that: " Looking ahead though, the core services that are bundled into the App Engine SDK today (Datastore, Memcache, Task Queues, and Logging) will all be exposed as standalone services that one can call from any compute offering".
So assume you might not be implementing this for Node.js in favour of MemoryStore for Redis, in which case, when will this be available in the Sydney region as "Cloud Memorystore for Redis traffic must stay within the region where the instance is located" and my App Engine application is in Sydney...

I am also wondering if you will be offering a free tiered version of this (since App Engine Memcache offers one i.e. Shared Memcache), as I am still developing my application and would rather not incur extreme costs during the development phase of my application (I used $4 out of the $300 free trial 3+ years ago...)

Cheers.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 8, 2018, 3:47:58 PM8/8/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Daniel,

It is not easy to predict when this or that feature is going to become available, as development time can depend on many factors and may change in the last moment. Only the date indicated in a public announcement is reliable. Work is undoubtedly being done meanwhile. Features such as a tiered version are still to be decided upon.

It is already possible to use Memcache in the Flexible Environment, as described in the "Caching Application Data Using Redis Labs Memcache" online document