Using naked domains (like http://example.com)

859 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeff S (Google)

unread,
Sep 9, 2008, 3:09:17 PM9/9/08
to Google App Engine
Hi all,

One question that we see a lot on the group is about setting up an app
to serve from a naked domain (http://example.com) While this has been
difficult but not impossible in the past, we've made some changes and
are no longer allowing naked domains to be used for App Engine apps.
The infrastructure which we use will occasionally force TCP connection
resets when an app is running on a naked domain, so we're recommending
that everyone switch to a subdomain (like http://www.example.com) and
set up DNS redirects if you already have traffic going to a naked
domain.

We'd like to provide this support in the future and are looking into
potential workarounds, but it's not clear at this point how long that
will take. For now, if your domain registrar supports URL redirects,
you can redirect from http://yourdomain.com to e.g http://www.yourdomain.com
or http://appid.yourdomain.com. (From http://code.google.com/appengine/kb/commontasks.html#naked_domain
)

Advice on setting up URL redirects from the naked domain can be found
in the following:
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-in&answer=61057
http://groups.google.com/group/apps-discuss/web/forwarding-to-google-site-home-page

Thank you,
Jeff

Dennis

unread,
Oct 7, 2008, 3:18:49 AM10/7/08
to Google App Engine
Hi Jeff,

Can a Google Code GAE Issue be created for this so we can track it
(instead of doing searches in google groups)?




On Sep 10, 3:09 am, "Jeff S (Google)" <j...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One question that we see a lot on the group is about setting up an app
> to serve from anakeddomain(http://example.com) While this has been
> difficult but not impossible in the past, we've made some changes and
> are no longer allowingnakeddomains to be used for App Engine apps.
> The infrastructure which we use will occasionally force TCP connection
> resets when an app is running on anakeddomain, so we're recommending
> that everyone switch to a subdomain (likehttp://www.example.com) and
> set up DNS redirects if you already have traffic going to anakeddomain.
>
> We'd like to provide this support in the future and are looking into
> potential workarounds, but it's not clear at this point how long that
> will take.  For now, if yourdomainregistrar supports URL redirects,
> you can redirect fromhttp://yourdomain.comto e.ghttp://www.yourdomain.com
> orhttp://appid.yourdomain.com. (Fromhttp://code.google.com/appengine/kb/commontasks.html#naked_domain
> )
>
> Advice on setting up URL redirects from thenakeddomaincan be found
> in the following:http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-in&answer=61057http://groups.google.com/group/apps-discuss/web/forwarding-to-google-...
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff

Dennis

unread,
Oct 8, 2008, 1:04:07 PM10/8/08
to Google App Engine
Issue 777 is a feature request for naked domains:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=777



On Oct 7, 3:18 pm, Dennis <dennisf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Can a Google Code GAE Issue be created for this so we can track it
> (instead of doing searches in google groups)?
>
> On Sep 10, 3:09 am, "Jeff S (Google)" <j...@google.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > One question that we see a lot on the group is about setting up an app
> > to serve from anakeddomain(http://example.com) While this has been
> > difficult but not impossible in the past, we've made some changes and
> > are no longer allowingnakeddomains to be used for App Engine apps.
> > The infrastructure which we use will occasionally force TCP connection
> > resets when an app is running on anakeddomain, so we're recommending
> > that everyone switch to a subdomain (likehttp://www.example.com) and
> > set up DNS redirects if you already have traffic going to anakeddomain.
>
> > We'd like to provide this support in the future and are looking into
> > potential workarounds, but it's not clear at this point how long that
> > will take.  For now, if yourdomainregistrar supports URL redirects,
> > you can redirect fromhttp://yourdomain.comtoe.ghttp://www.yourdomain.com
> > orhttp://appid.yourdomain.com. (Fromhttp://code.google.com/appengine/kb/commontasks.html#naked_domain
> > )
>
> > Advice on setting up URL redirects from thenakeddomaincan be found
> > in the following:http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-in&answer=61057ht......
>
> > Thank you,
> > Jeff- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages